Battery Technology

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Battery Technology

Post by JK »

Battery technology is moving at light speed. Ony 14 years ago an expert in batteries told me that it wasn't mature enough to risk buying an electric car.
Now we have cutting edge technology on lithium batteries happening right here in the Maritimes

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1 ... ss_insider
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: Battery Technology

Post by Merlyn »

Over here some batteries are £10,000 plus, nobody bought any vehicles so now you buy the hybrid car and lease the battery.
Weird or what.
Went on a CR course touching on hybrids and was told putting your pinkies between a battery terminal and nearby spanner could cause you to have your pinkie sheared off such was the magnetism power.
Like the re superheated steam reducing your pinky to a skeleton I managed to steer clear of it all preferring someone braver than me to prove the theory wrong.
Not many chargeup points over here yet so if you are tempted make sure your get the lamppost adapter c/w collapsible ladder to ensure you make it back home after a night out.
The Solar side of powering things seems to be taking off too over here.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Battery Technology

Post by JK »

That's about $20,000 here give a couple thousand. I can see why no one would buy.