Back to the age of sail?

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Back to the age of sail?

Post by Big Pete »

It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Back to the age of sail?

Post by JK »

I believer DieselDuck worked on a sail cruise ship. I'd love to hear his take on this.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

I sailed with a guy who was Chief Engineer on one of the Windstar ships, he said it was hell, the PR people planned the routes so that the ship never had a favourable wind and to make the schedule they ran the engines all the time, and never used the sails. Despite the Master and Chief both telling the management that if they had gone round the same Ports in a different order the Passengers would have got what they paid for, a cruise under sail, and it would have saved a lot of money for Fuel, Lubes and spares.
Also, to avoid problems with the US Coastguard they had fitted flow meters to all the Bilge suctions, OWS overboards etc and it used to take him all his time flogging the figures to reconcile them with with the ROB!!
The "Big Chiefs" in the Office hadn't figured out that when the Bilge wells are nearly empty, air is sucked in and as the flow meters were positive displacement recorded as liquid, but when it reached the tank it promptly disappeared out of the Tank air vent!!
Everybody all over him, threatening him with Jail and massive fines because he couldn't make an impossible system work.
Plus ca change.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Ahaha, never been on a sailboat, wouldn't be true to my name now would it. =)
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net