Canadian Merchant Service Guild

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
waqas3075
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Canada

Canadian Merchant Service Guild

Post by waqas3075 »

Hello All,
I am Waqas khan 4th engineer from toronto. I recently got my 4th class ticket. I am planning to work in Great lakes so can anyone explain me about the role of CMSG guild for marine engineers in great lakes. If i to find a job i have to be a member of Guild?
Can anyone tell me the advantage of guild and can they help me in finding the job ? They help their members to get a job ?
Thank you inadvance and thanks for your time.
Reagrds
Waqas khan
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re: Canadian Merchant Service Guild

Post by D Winsor »

The Canadian Merchant Service Guild is the trade union that represents Ship's Officers (Mates & Engineers) in the Canadian Great Lakes Fleet.

The Guild is the primary hiring source for officers with Algoma, CSL & other Marine Companies on the Lakes. It is also a requirement that all Officers, below the rank of Captain or Chief Engineer be a member of the Guild regardless how the employee obtains employment with the companies they represent.

Besides the negotiation of collective agreements and wage packages, the Guild is also responsible for all member benefits such as Pensions & Medical Health Care Plans which makes the coverage provided by these benefits seamless when members move form one company to another to find employment

If you wish to learn more about the Guild it is suggested that you contact them directly either through their website or by telephone and I'm sure someone there will be able to answer all your questions
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
waqas3075
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Canada

Re: Canadian Merchant Service Guild

Post by waqas3075 »

Thank you very much for the information.