Cannabis is now legal in Canada

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Cannabis is now legal in Canada

Post by JK »

The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Cannabis is now legal in Canada

Post by The Dieselduck »

...and companies are panicking "...how will we exert control !!!"
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
NLMate
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: NL, Canada

Post by NLMate »

Its going to be an issue, over half my crew have already approached me and asked me what will happen if the smoke pot on their time off and fail a test when they return to work. All I can say for now is Our current D&A policy applies and when/ if I hear anything from the office I will let you know.

I asked office management and for the time being they instructed me to keep saying what I have been saying and that something from upper management will be sent out.

This is going to make for an interesting few upcoming months when half the crew will fail a random test - It will be interesting to see the companies reaction.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

What surprises me is the total lack of preparation, or even common sense from companies, its been an issue now for several years.

Huh, i take that back, I am not surprise about lack of preparation; seems to be normal actually, crew shortage, cabotage, global warming, etc, etc... why are companies and shippers seem so often caught off guard, this is not magic, these decisions did not happen overnight, yes we realize that money drives everything, but having a longer view than quarterly profits report ought to be appreciated at some point???
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net