About CDI Vetting Advice for 3rd Eng.

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
sts07
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Turkey

About CDI Vetting Advice for 3rd Eng.

Post by sts07 »

Dear senior engineers, It is my 2nd month of my first contact in rank. Unfortunately, I learned that we are getting into CDI Vetting inspection :roll: . Anybody didn't give a damn about it :!: and ofc except me, im totally freaked out. I started to read past inspection remarks and CDI book. Now i feel like aimless meteor and there is a damn black hole end of the road. By the way I have max 10 days from now so I'm open any advice.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Re: About CDI Vetting Advice for 3rd Eng.

Post by Revolver »

Housekeeping
Safety equipment, validity, functionality, upkeep - of al various aspects (bilge alarms, fire fighting, life saving, engine safety's and shut downs, emerg fire pump and gen...everything)
Pollution control
Maintenance records
Record keeping (ORB, BDNs, Sludge Recipts etc.)
Certifications - personnel and machinery/equipment

As a 3rd, don't sweat it. Just watch and learn, it should be on the CE and the 2nd. Jist make sure you know how to test functionality of equipment and stuff...

I've never done "CDI Vetting"...but as long as all the things I mentioned are in good order the ER should be in good enough shape. I guess lol
sts07
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Turkey

Re: About CDI Vetting Advice for 3rd Eng.

Post by sts07 »

Yes sir you are totally right however Turkish crews working logic is little bit different others. 3E-4E carry out %90 percentage of paper works. There are no equipment responsibility share within the ranks. Especially for 3E/4E they are excepted to attend every operation. Therefore they tend to carry out paperworks after shift hour.