USN Theodore Roosevelt and Covid

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

USN Theodore Roosevelt and Covid

Post by JK »

When I saw this on the news, I was shocked. I knew that the TR had reported cases but to have the Captain of the ship write this letter tells you how bad it is. It could stop his career dead. Then I started thinking of the implications of a nuclear carrier full of sick men or a handful of men babysitting the plant and it just got worse in the implications. This probably shook me up more then anything else because the US has a lot of these ships out there and given the reporting out of the US, you don't get the warm and fuzzies over emergency planning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

Rachel Maddow talks about it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOtfChYnw80
JK
Enduring Contributor

Re: USN Theodore Roosevelt and Covid

Post by JK »

And no surprise
“(Reuters) - The U.S. Navy announced on Thursday it had relieved the commander of the U.S. aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt, who wrote a scathing letter that leaked to the public asking Navy leadership for stronger measures to control a coronavirus outbreak onboard.”
JK
Enduring Contributor

Re: USN Theodore Roosevelt and Covid

Post by JK »

This story just gets more bizarre.
The A/SecNav flies 8000 miles in the middle of a pandemic to Guam and addresses the crew on the PA systems, with members of the crew audibly swearing at the speech. He refers to the CO of a major nuclear ship as stupid and naive in this address, to a crew which had cheered their CO as he left the ship after he was removed from command. Then he is upset that his speech was leaked which shows his naivety about todays reality of the internet.
I am sure every one of us who have sailed professionally has seen this dynamic played out in some fashion more then once.