Mobility of asymptomatic, presumed non-covid-19-carrying* seafarers in the marine sector during the covid-19 pandemic

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Mobility of asymptomatic, presumed non-covid-19-carrying* seafarers in the marine sector during the covid-19 pandemic

Post by JK »

Subject: Mobility of asymptomatic, presumed non-covid-19-carrying* seafarers in the marine sector during the covid-19 pandemic
Bulletin No.: 28/2020
Date: 2020-12-25
Link: https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transpo ... no-28-2020
Dieseldude
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Nova Scotia

Re: Mobility of asymptomatic, presumed non-covid-19-carrying* seafarers in the marine sector during the covid-19 pandemi

Post by Dieseldude »

The exemption for marine crew has existed since early on in the COVID situation. However, I have found that Canadian shipping companies and provincial border security remain ignorant of it. I know of employers having advised crew that prior to crossing provincial boundaries to travel home from their ship, that they need to fill an online form on the provincial COVID web site, isolate upon getting home, and go for mandatory testing. A lot of crew have been falling for this, as they have taken the misinformation as fact. Even provincial border personnel are ignorant of the marine crew exemption, forcing crew to follow standard isolation procedure that applies to the non transport worker public. I have had to argue and show a print of the TC document to back my exemption. Provincial border staff will try and classify marine crew as "rotational workers" which is a whole different category to which different rules apply.

Perhaps a big cause of the problem is the difficulty in searching for documents on the vast TC web site. One can spend hours searching the site without finding relevant results. But with the COVID situation having existed for many months, all company crewing managers and all provincial border staff should be well aware. Any crew crossing provincial borders while traveling to or from their vessel needs to be prepared with a print of TC document:

" Mobility of asymptomatic, presumed non-covid-19-carrying* seafarers in the marine sector during the covid-19 pandemic - SSB No.: 28/2020"

This is found at web page
https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transpor ... no-28-2020.

If returning home, have your testimonial of sea service ready. If boarding, a letter on company letter head noting your required presence aboard with vessel name, port of boarding, and planned date of boarding. Not sure if an electronic document on lap top or smart phone is acceptable, so best to have a print. Phone numbers and email addresses of vessel master and management may be needed to back your claim as crew member. You may need to argue your position. Be polite, but assertive. I have gotten through every time by being prepared. But having to argue one's case should not be required. The ignorance of border personnel should not be another hoop to jump through, but this is another problem of the police state that Canada has become.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Re: Mobility of asymptomatic, presumed non-covid-19-carrying* seafarers in the marine sector during the covid-19 pandemi

Post by JK »

Police state? Wow.
Have you actually been anywhere that is a police state?
Dieseldude
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by Dieseldude »

I have been in Russia, which largely remains a police state. But I have been in the police state of Canada over the past year. My rights have been infringed. My rights of mobility, my rights of freedom of assembly, and my rights to the air that I breathe in the form of mandated masks, to name a few. What I wear, or do not wear on my face is my right to choose. But I am threatened with penalties by legal action should I chose not to impair my breath. The wearing of a porous fabric with large gaps on the edges cannot prevent transfer of particles much more minute than the material pores. This is the equivalent of filtering turbo intakes with only mosquito netting. Wearing of simple masks in a non clinical setting to prevent microbe transmission is beyond absurd. Upon crossing provincial borders, I am subject to interrogation by agents who have been given policing powers. Before allowed to pass, they force me to provide personal details which are lawfully none of their business. My identity, my travel history and intentions, and my state of my health are private matters while traveling inside my own country .

All this has been of little to no effect to resolve the "pandemic". The country is very much in the same condition as when the trouble arose about one year ago. Government powers have been unlawfully abused to no useful effect, and billions of dollars have been wasted on needless interventions that have failed. Notice how the "flatten the curve" mantra has been forgotten due to the lunacy it would now bring to public attention. The spread of the Wuhan virus has been exaggerated by defective testing that generates a huge proportion of false positives. PCR test thresholds above 23 to 26 largely generate false positives, Even the WHO has sent out a bulletin acknowledging the high rate of false positives, and advising clinical observation rather than full reliance on PCR testing. With each successive test, the sample concentration is double the previous, which is an exponential function. 40 cycles is commonly used, but at 40, the concentration is 20 squared times that of the 20th test, which is a multiplication factor of 400. It is 1600 times its original and natural concentration at cycle threshold of 40. At these highly amplified figures, spurious and inflated results are guaranteed.

This all leads to the logical conclusion that we are not in the midst of a pandemic, but are seeing a typical and perhaps stronger variety of the seasonal flu. Statistics show that the vast majority of infected persons recover quickly. The fact that official numbers of infections dropped off last summer supports this. The only sensible solution is to do nothing, except protect persons who have an existing vulnerable state of health. This has been demonstrated by Sweden, also by the States of South Dakota and Florida. The "pandemic" will eventually dissipate by natural immunity. This principle has been declared by a group of medical and health scientists, and is called "The Great Barrington Declaration". To date, it has been signed by 13,731 medical & public health Scientists, 41,628 medical practitioners, 758,641concerned citizens.

https://gbdeclaration.org/

So yes, Canadian governments are exercising police state tactics based on false premises. In reality, the country has not been shut down by a pandemic, but by needless government intervention. Meanwhile the COVID industrial complex rakes in big profits at our expense.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

cry me a river and move to Florida, they look wide open
Dieseldude
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by Dieseldude »

Not sure where "cry me a river"fits into the discussion. My points were not a lament, but a discussion of facts and figures. Personal sarcastic comments only discredit the speaker or author of such. Please kindly concentrate on merit and facts. I would like to see logical comments, whether pro or con to the discussion. Have you anything to offer on PCR testing accuracy, experts who signed the Great Barrington Declaration, Florida infection rates, South Dakota economic performance over the past year, versus New York from which there is a mass exodus, use or abuse of laws, etc. ?
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

We did have one deckhand return to a small island community, from his job as a deckhand on a ship in alaska. Because he flew in on commercial flight, he was advise to self isolate, and he highlighted the exemptions from Transport Canada, however he received a visit from the local RCMP member, who happened to be an acquaintance, advised him to stay in quarantine as the RCMP was notified to make sure of it.

So in that experience, there is evidence that the message of seafarers being exempt from quarantine is not being applied according to TC's directive, or further clarification is needed.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Dieseldude
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by Dieseldude »

Thanks Martin for your account of the Deck Hand's experience. On March 24 I received a reply to my question to TC about the mariners' exemption.
It seems that TC is not following their own directive. The TC gentleman claimed that the link to the bulletin that I had referred to did not work. It worked for me the same day that I received the reply. On Jan. 30 I was able to cross into NS from NB after having shown border security a copy of the bulletin and my sea service testimonial with no demand to isolate or test. I had to argue with two guards who had no cluew about mariner exemptions before the third guy understood. Obviously the exemption was honored then, but someone is acting unlawfully in provinces lately. It is incredible that provinces have been allowed to bully mariners by overstepping their provincial authority to encroach into federal jurisdiction. Our certificates are issued by TC, a federal department, not by provinces. All that I can imagine is that someone in TC got it wrong, and everybody else is operating by the error.

Following is the reply that I received. Not sure if I am permitted to publish the name of the TC gentleman on a public form, so I have deleted it.

Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 2:53 PM
To:
Subject: RE: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Travel restrictions, exemptions and advice

Hi all,

I could not get the link reference to work.

Requirements to self-isolate come from the individual provinces and change daily therefore travelers are to follow Provincial Healthy Authority for restrictions and quarantine requirements. Exemptions depend on their situation. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/trave ... /provinces

NS - https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/restr ... zed-worker

NB - https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corp ... n.html#who

NL - https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/individu ... -advice-2/

PEI - https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/topic/travel + https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/in ... -isolation

Ship safety bulletin links are below:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transpor ... -bulletins

Note: In the event of conflicting requirements between federal restrictions to enter Canada and provincial or territorial travel restrictions, you must comply with the regulation that is the most stringent.

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corp ... ravel.html

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corp ... ation.html
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Dieseldude wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:35 pm Not sure where "cry me a river"fits into the discussion. My points were not a lament, but a discussion of facts and figures. Personal sarcastic comments only discredit the speaker or author of such. Please kindly concentrate on merit and facts. I would like to see logical comments, whether pro or con to the discussion. Have you anything to offer on PCR testing accuracy, experts who signed the Great Barrington Declaration, Florida infection rates, South Dakota economic performance over the past year, versus New York from which there is a mass exodus, use or abuse of laws, etc. ?

My apologies. I've read way too many posts of people crying about the "hoax"and made the assumption this is where you were going.