Accommodation

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

Accommodation

Post by offshoresnipe »

I was reading about a new build product tanker and it said Accomadation was European Style 5 tiers. The ship was build in the USA, a Daewoo desgin. What does this mean?
Thanks
Madzng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Re: Accommodation

Post by Madzng »

I am not sure that this is a real definition, but from my own experience European style accomodations, when compared to American ones are better furnished and there is not so much segregated between officers and crew.

Every American ship which I have been involved in the take over of, has had lino flooring in the cabins, very basic furniture, laundry and dining facilities for the officers and crew are duplicited - these were all older vessels, I do not know what the accomodation is like on the newer american built ships.

On a vessels built for European crews the cabins are carpeted and the furniture is generally of a good quality. On ships delivered in the last ten years or so shared laundry facilities, and dining arangements are made.

When recently handing over an 11 month old ship to an American crew, the biggest complaint was the shared facilities. This was a big concern for the superintendent, and I am not sure how they managed to resolve the issue.
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

Re: Accommodation

Post by offshoresnipe »

Thanks for the information. I thought that the conditions would be better then US. Didn't know about the shared stuff. Does not matter anyway I am a Hawspiper, still like to stay in contact with my roots...

Thanks again for your reply.