FRC course for OSV's in Canada

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
ngineer
Bilge Dweller

FRC course for OSV's in Canada

Post by ngineer »

Hi, this is a question regarding Fast Rescue Craft training in the Offshore Industry, specifically that of eastern Canada.

I took the Canadian Coast Guard in house FRC course a year or two ago, this course was called RHIOT, or Rigid Hull Inflatable Operations. In total, it was a 18 day course on operating a Zodiac in search and rescue operations. This CCG RHIOT course does not require re-certification.

Some companies operating OSV's in eastern Canadian waters used to require some of their watchkeeping engineers to have an FRC operators course, but people usually got it through an offshore survival center affiliated with Newfoundland's Marine Institute, or other such places in eastern Canada (I only know of the one in NL).

So, I was wondering if anyone might know if this CCG RHIOT course would be accepted by offshore companies in lieu of the other FRC operators course.

Many thanks
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: FRC course for OSV's in Canada

Post by JK »

I wonder if Survival Systems in Dartmouth would be able to answer this?
SkyHawk
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by SkyHawk »

No, the FRC course requried by the offshore is hot the same the the Coast Guard Course. The Coast Guard Course is NOT STCW certified. You have to take the Course at an approved Trainging Establishment and make sure its STCW
EL
Mechanic

Post by EL »

It's much easier to deal with Survival Systems.
They will be satisfied with current TC medical, no MI medical bs, which issued by the same doctor.
SkyHawk
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by SkyHawk »

Yeah I know, what is up with that MI Medical? Why can't you just use the TC Medical. It's just another money grab that you got to pay the doctors. It's bad enough that MI is one of the most expensive placed to attend.