Marpol Annex 4

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
yous
Bilge Dweller

Marpol Annex 4

Post by yous »

Hi Guys,

I'm studying for my exams over in the UK and there is a good chance I'll get asked about MARPOL and other legislation. My question is this: According to handouts at college and general discussion with friends and colleagues, annex 4 says that sewage can be discharged within 4nm from land as long as it is from an approved plant and ships is travelling at more than 4 knots. I have personally been alongside and been discharging treated sewage and it was all legal as Canadian, US and many other coast guards came on and inspected what was happening. I've just spent the last hour going through the annex on the IMO's webpage at

http://www.imo.org/Environment/mainfram ... pic_id=237 and http://www.imo.org/TCD/contents.asp?doc ... doneandtwo

but I can't find where it says this is acceptable. Anyone know where it says its ok?

thanks in advance for any help

Yousef
Madzng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Re: Marpol Annex 4

Post by Madzng »

Hi Yousef,

Although Marpol Annex IV has been around for a long time (1973) it has only recently come into force (2005).

Previous to this the only requirements for sewage discharge (if any) were local regulations which would vary from port to port, country to country.

As with many new shipping regulations they applied to "new ships" which will mean the keel is laid after a specific date, or "existing ships" separately.

Existing ships have had to comply since 27th September 2008.

The two key regulations are 9 and 11, copied below.

Regulation 9
Sewage Systems
1 Every ship which, in accordance with regulation 2, is required to comply with the
provisions of this Annex shall be equipped with one of the following sewage systems:
.1 a sewage treatment plant which shall be of a type approved by the Administration,
taking into account the standards and test methods developed by the
Organization, or

.2 a sewage comminuting and disinfecting system approved by the Administration.
Such system shall be fitted with facilities to the satisfaction of the Administration,
for the temporary storage of sewage when the ship is less than 3 nautical miles
from the nearest land, or
.3 a holding tank of the capacity to the satisfaction of the Administration for the
retention of all sewage, having regard to the operation of the ship, the number of
persons on board and other relevant factors. The holding tank shall be constructed
to the satisfaction of the Administration and shall have a means to indicate
visually the amount of its contents.

Regulation 11
Discharge of Sewage
1 Subject to the provisions of regulation 3 of this Annex, the discharge of sewage into the
sea is prohibited, except when:
.1 the ship is discharging comminuted and disinfected sewage using a system
approved by the Administration in accordance with regulation 9.1.2 of this Annex
at a distance of more than 3 nautical miles from the nearest land, or sewage which
is not comminuted or disinfected at a distance of more than 12 nautical miles from
the nearest land, provided that in any case, the sewage that has been stored in
holding tanks shall not be discharged instantaneously but at a moderate rate when
the ship is en route and proceeding at not less than 4 knots; the rate of discharge
shall be approved by the Administration based upon standards developed by the
Organization; or
.2 the ship has in operation an approved sewage treatment plant which has been
certified by the Administration to meet the operational requirements referred to in
regulation 9.1.1 of this Annex, and
.1 the test results of the plant are laid down in the ship’s International Sewage
Pollution Prevention Certificate; and
.2 additionally, the effluent shall not produce visible floating solids nor cause
discoloration of the surrounding water.

As Annex IV has been around for so long I expect that the sewage treatment plant makers have know that eventually they would have to comply and have built their plants to meet the required standards for some time. Allowing the ships you sail on to "carry on as normal".

The requirement for discharge at more than 4 knots, only applies when the ship is discharging from a storage tank, not the sewage treatment plant.

I hope the above helps.