Left Handed Monkey Wench

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

Left Handed Monkey Wench

Post by offshoresnipe »

I wanted to pass along a good book to read. It is by Richard Mckenna, he wrote the Sand Pebbles which was made into a movie in the 60's.
His book of short stories called the Left Handed Monkey Wrench is a great book about Engineers.
From what I have read about Mr. Mckenna he was the Engineers, Engineer. He sounded to be very true to his work and the engine room.
The book is out of print, but there are copies at Amazon. Enjoy!
BilgeRat1
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Northern Illinois, USA

Re: Left Handed Monkey Wench

Post by BilgeRat1 »

Oh yes! I have a copy of this in a book called "The Sons of Martha". It is a collection of McKenna's short stories and three sections of the book he had in the works when he died of a heart attack in 1964. We were robbed of another great book by his death; the stand alone sections of "The Sons of Martha" are very powerful reading; it is long out of print but worth the search. Find a copy.

More information here-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_McKenna
http://www.thesandpebbles.com/mckenna/r ... kenna.html
"It is not that there are too many fools on earth, it is just that the lightning is distributed unevenly."
Mark Twain
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

How about the Glencannon series?
They have been out of print for years.
BilgeRat1
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Northern Illinois, USA

Post by BilgeRat1 »

Hmm, going to have to look around for ebook copies of Glencannon. Curtis Publishing put a book out some years ago, but it was mostly about his drinking! My wife sent me back to work with her Kindle on a trial run, and I am going to get one for myself at work; if I can find Glencannon stories in Mobi format, I will a link here.
Tom
"It is not that there are too many fools on earth, it is just that the lightning is distributed unevenly."
Mark Twain