On the Car deck

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

On the Car deck

Post by JK »

In a fit of boredom, I watched the Battle Star Galactica movie on DVD, then watched the comments after.
It turns out portions of the movie had been filmed onboard a laid up BC ferry. I flipped back to the movie and checked, there you go, complete with car lane markings. The actors came down the passenger stairs into the car deck, instead of an 18 wheeler though, there was a starship!
I had noted the structure of the hull when I had watched it the first time, but didn't realize it was an actual ship.
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Re: On the Car deck

Post by Sébastien »

You make it sound as though its wrong to watch a sci-fi movie JK, us nerds like those movies,
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

You caught me out!! I'm a Nerd, I've watched this movie about 6 times. :lol: Just never listened to the comment part.
But I was bored and slightly jetlagged on a rainy afternoon .
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Ahahaha, thats a funny post. I'm actually am a big fan of the show, I have watch every episodes, webisodes, specials and movies from the new series, its an entertaining escape after a long watch. I too did not realize the BC Ferries aspect of it. It must have been on the flight deck scenes but I cant recall it - cant believe I missed that. I will have to see if I can find it, and make a mention of it on the lounge. But I will have to do it on the boat, since the wife will not let me watch it at home. ehehehe.

I started watching the new Stargate - SG Universe. I get a feeling they're trying to fill the void left by the end of Battlestar Gallactica, a bit cheesy but I may continue to follow it, see if it picks up. I enjoy the work of some of the actors in there, much like in BG, Edward James Olmos is da man. John Heard being cast as Chief Engineer of the Galactica, or was it Pegasus, a few seasons past, was pretty neat as well. Kewl post.

PS. Good to see you back Sebastien... its been a while
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

It is in the first movie. Apollo has landed his father's reconditioned viper on Rosaline's ship, Colonial One.
So all of the shots of that landing bay is done on the ferry.
It is funny, you expect the landing bay of a space ship so you see it, not the car deck of a ferry :D

If you like this stuff, you have to watch Serenity then. I had to pick the DVD, because I didn't even know the series existed until after it is done.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Yes indeed, that is a good show too. I was impressed with Serenity it felt a bit more fresh than the usual SciFi. The Firefly series was the precursor, but the movie basically condenses the story into two hours instead of the 12 episodes - if you haven't seen the series.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net