TC 3rd or 4th ME needed by MU in NF

Employers looking to fill Marine Engineering or related positions can do so here.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

TC 3rd or 4th ME needed by MU in NF

Post by The Dieselduck »

Marine and Technical Services
Marine Institute

CHIEF ENGINEER

DUTIES
The successful applicant will report to the Captain with responsibility to operate and maintain the engine rooms and be responsible for the mechanical operation of the engine rooms on the Marine Institute's training vessel. Duties include inspecting mechanical and electrical systems to ensure safe and proper operation; performing preventative maintenance and repairs to pumps, motors and related equipment; and performing other related duties as required. This position may require overnight trips at sea.

QUALIFICATIONS
Experience (3-5 years) in marine engineering; possession of a valid third or fourth class (motor) certificate; a valid MED certificate; and be STCW-95 qualified.

SALARY Commensurate with qualifications and experience
CLOSING DATE September 5, 2014
COMPETITION NO. MISI-14-40

To apply for this position, please click the "apply on-line" button at the bottom of this page. Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. NST on the competition closing date. For further information concerning this opportunity, email us at [email protected], or contact the Human Resources Office, Marine Institute, Room E3306C, phone (709) 778-0440, fax (709) 778-0673.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. Memorial University is strongly committed to employment equity and especially welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, members of sexual minorities and persons with disabilities.

We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: TC 3rd or 4th ME needed by MU in NF

Post by The Dieselduck »

I did not realize that MU had a training vessel; anybody have any input on this?
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Great job for somebody in St Johns! Just make sure it's over 750 Kw (1000 bhp) if you ever want to progress to 2nd Class.

MPR section 145 (1), table item 1

After acquiring the qualifying service required for a Third-class Engineer, Motor Ship or Steamship certificate, acquire at least 12 months of additional qualifying service as follows:

(a) at least 6 months of sea service as engineer in charge of the engineering watch or in charge of machinery on one or more of the following vessels that have a propulsive power of at least 750 kW:

(i) on board a motor vessel other than a stationary MOU, in the case of an applicant for a motor ship certificate, or

(ii) on board a steamship, in the case of an applicant for a steamship certificate;

(b) up to 3 months of qualifying service in respect of attendance at a program or course, other than an approved training course, at a maximum rate of one day of service for every three days of attendance, if

(i) the program or course substantially covers the subject-matter of at least one of the examinations referred to in item 4, and

(ii) the applicant provides a testimonial indicating that the applicant has successfully completed that program or course; and

(c) any remaining time in any combination of the following types of service on one or more of the following vessels that have a power of at least 750 kW:

(i) service as an engineer on board a steamship or motor vessel,

(ii) service as an engineer on board an MOU that does not have a propulsion system accrued at a rate of one-half the time served counting as qualifying service, and

(iii) up to 3 months of qualifying service in respect of time spent in laying up, fitting out or refitting a vessel at a rate of a maximum of one day of qualifying service for each calendar day of at least 8 hours of work.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

They have the research vessel MVP Anne S Pierce. 116m long according to their site
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Here she is

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/4/v ... ils/802013

839.26 Kw, so she's good to go for qualifying service up to 2M.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".