Offshore and Maritime Personnel - All Ranks and experience!

Employers looking to fill Marine Engineering or related positions can do so here.
7oceans
Wandering Engineer

Offshore and Maritime Personnel - All Ranks and experience!

Post by 7oceans »

Offshore Personnel of all ranks and varying experience are welcome to apply!

Our clients work on appealing and prestigious projects all over the world. Whether you're looking for a job on a short or long term basis

Suitable and challenging jobs
Good and quick payment
International career opportunities
An attractive and professional work environment
Personal service

All details on http://www.7oceans.pl
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Offshore and Maritime Personnel - All Ranks and experience!

Post by JollyJack »

Prepare to pay! It's illegal in Canada, but these guys are in Poland.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

I believe its illegal under the ILO conventions (international) to which most countries have signed on, to pay money to get a job or the promise of a job. So to all of you beware of your rights and obligations.
Charging seafarers placement fees is prohibited in most maritime nations, in the International Labour Organization’s Recruitment and Placement of Seafarers Convention, 1996 (ILO-179) and in the new International Labour Organization’s Maritime Labour Convention 2006 (which is expected to enter into force in 2011 or 2012).

I would advise seafarers to avoid a placement agency that attempt to charge them a placement fee because it is a good indicator that the agency is operating illegally and in a manner that is not in the seafarers’ best interests.

If you or your readers have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at the Center for Seafarers’ Rights."
That's from http://www.dieselduck.net/job/ and the comments received from the Seamen Church in the US.

The website advertised above has this on their website.
Please note that this website is not an employment agency as defined in Article 18 of the Act of 20th April 2004 on the Promotion of Employment and Job Market Institutions (Journal of Laws, U.04.99.1001). Also, the website does not provide any job agency services (including temporary job agency services) in Poland or abroad; nor does it provide any job or personal counselling services or staff recruitment and delegating services. This website should, therefore, be treated as a means of providing information, contacts and analyses. We cannot be held responsible for an incorrect classification of its activity or for any advertisements, analyses and information submitted by third parties, institutions or businesses to be posted at the http://www.7oceans.pl website.
The cost of joining is "about 1 euro (1.40 cdn) for 10 access". The website is a Polish base website. The jobs, if real, are most likely tailor to eastern European wage scales, which is probably quite prohibitive for Canadians and "westerners" to compete for.

Basically it is an informational service much like http://www.dieselduck.net website group is, except you pay for the information. But the narrow scope of the information provided certainly dances the fine line, in my humble opinion, between the illegal charging money to seafarers for jobs. Lets face it, we've all been at sea far to long to say that finding an offshore, well paying job, is going to be as easy as paying a fee to a website and off you go. If you believe this, then, by all means, fill your boots. Me, I am quite skeptical and cheap, so I will continue to use http://www.dieselduck.net's excellent - if I do say so myself - source of relevant, free, marine engineer centric information. That said, many people pay for magazines, and most magazines are just there to sell you more stuff... so whose to say it may not help someone.

The reason, as administrator, I allow these ads is to shed light on the practices out there affecting Marine professionals. The wider discussion it generates, the better for the community. I don't believe people are stupid, although some can make stupid decisions. I hope this discussion will help the users of The Common Rail to make an informed decision about these types of services on their own. Perhaps someone has a good story about this type of service and its benefits to their career, but I am skeptical myself.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
7oceans
Wandering Engineer

Post by 7oceans »

WE SAY AGAIN:
We don't get a money for find job for seaman. We are not crewing agency and we charge fee for access to website and it is not illegal.
It is your choice : you want looking for job posts in internet or open our website and find in one minute, so please don't say it is illegal.
all jobs on our website are from famous agencies and owners : Genesis Personnel, WRS, Humbership, Clyderecruitment etc. = you can writ them and ask !!!
About 3/4 offers are from West Europe agencies and western Europe wages scale.
I don't know why you write false information ?
First - check , than write !!!
And one more think . You write "The cost of joining is "about 1 euro (1.40 cdn) for 10 access". - it is not true - 1 euro = 10 DAYS access
Regards
Peter - 7oceans team
Last edited by 7oceans on Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hearns79
Bilge Dweller

Post by hearns79 »

I am a 4th class engineer and have seen many of 7oceans vessels. I am interested in 7oceans for employment but the clumsy application process and pay to apply/ view opportunities is a definite turn off. Too bad.