FIRST ENGINEER – FIRST OR SECOND CLASS MOTOR CERTIFICATE

Employers looking to fill Marine Engineering or related positions can do so here.
elitster
First Time Poster
Currently located: Victoria

Post by elitster »

With 47 ports of call, 35 vessels and more than 500 sailings every day, BC Ferries is the largest independently owned ferry company in the world. Dedicated to safety, excellence, innovation, and people, we are committed to continuously improving the west coast travel experience of our customers.

BC Ferries requires skilled professionals to work in support of BC coastal operations. We offer a unique working environment providing diverse challenges, and the opportunity to grow and develop within the marine industry while enjoying British Columbia’s west coast lifestyle. We are currently seeking individuals for the following opportunities:

Various locations

The successful applicant is a passionate, innovative Engineer who brings a wide scope of technical, interpersonal and leadership skills, and experience to a role central to the safe and efficient management and operation of the ship’s machinery and equipment. This includes proficiency on all operating systems and services, as well as a demonstrated knowledge of safe work practices, leadership and development of employees and an understanding of financial and budget processes. Positions require basic computer literacy and clear, concise English communication skills. Individuals must have a valid Transport Canada Motor Certificate.

For more information on position requirements and how to apply, visit our website at:

www.bcferries.com

Or contact Ms. Chris Strange, Manager, Human Resources at: 604-948-3527, fax to 604-943-6539, or email: [email protected].
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: FIRST ENGINEER – FIRST OR SECOND CLASS MOTOR CERTIFICATE

Post by JollyJack »

Correct me if I err, but are not all posted jobs on a temporary, casual basis? No security, no benefits?
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Max Oiltemp
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Prince Edward Island / Dubai

Post by Max Oiltemp »

That used to be the case, JJ - unless they're truly desperate. And for 1st or 2nd class in multiple locations, they may be - I sat on interview panels in '97 or '98 where they were making direct hires. Ironically, I worked more hours a month as a casual than I did as a regular employee - I know of at least one (casual) individual who declined to apply for regular positions for that very reason. Took about 6 months before I became 'full-time'

Regards,
camshaft
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: The Left Coast

Post by camshaft »

Well I suppose it depends on what kind of security and benefits you're looking for. I think this is the biggest marine transportation employer on the Canadian west coast if not all of Canada. Strong unionized environment. Security? You don't get more secure than the west coast ferries, they will be there long after we're gone.
The website indicates there are 2-5 full time positions. Why doesn't someone call them and find out for us?

Also: this is a unionized company so if they are advertising these jobs outside that must mean they don't have anyone internally, right?
Curt233
Mechanic
Currently located: Comox Valley

Post by Curt233 »

These positions are most likely Chief Engineer positions on the intermediate class vessels. These positions are not union. They are a management position. You will receive full time work immediately with full benefits. If for some reason you screw up on the job, you will not be protected by the Union. Now for some reason they are posting a position for a 1st engineer on the major vessels, you will be in the union and you will still have full time work. You will be in the staffing pool for 1st engineers. I'm not sure how it works now with the Chief engineers being management, in regards to having a second class ticket. Before the chief engineer on the intermediate vessels went over to management, the staffing pool guys with second class tickets were 1st engineers on major vessels and Chiefs on intermediate vessels. Now I'm not sure how that work. Bottom line is, you will have full time work with benefits