Atlantic Towing looking for full crew

Employers looking to fill Marine Engineering or related positions can do so here.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Atlantic Towing looking for full crew

Post by The Dieselduck »

Atlantic Towing Limited is a well-established Marine Company with a diverse fleet of Harbour, Coastal / Deep Sea Tugs, as well as Offshore Supply Vessels with locations in Saint John, New Brunswick, Halifax, Nova Scotia and St. John's, Newfoundland.

Atlantic Towing is growing, and we are currently accepting applications for the following full time positions with our Offshore Supply Vessels, to be based in St. John's, NL.
Master
Chief Engineer
2nd Engineer
3rd Engineer
Jr. Engineer
Chief Mate
2nd Mate
Jr. Officer
Crane Operator / Deckhand
Bosun
Deckhand

Training, Experience and Certification Requirements (minimum):
Marine Emergency Duties (and MED refresher training)
Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical
Marine First Aid Training (3 Year Expiry)
H2S Alive
WHMIS
Transportation of Dangerous Goods Certificate (TDG)
Vessel Personnel with Security Responsibilities
Experience in the offshore industry

Atlantic Towing Limited offers a competitive salary, with excellent benefits including health, dental, group insurance and group RRSP.

How to Apply:

If you are interested in applying for a current or future career opportunity with Atlantic Towing Limited, please click the "Apply Now" button and complete the online application form. A resume of past experience is required; a cover letter is not.

What to Expect:

All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications and fit with Atlantic Towing Limited. Only those candidates who have the necessary qualifications will be contacted.

Atlantic Towing Limited is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
If you are interested in applying for this career opportunity, please click "Apply Now".

We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.

https://www.careerbeacon.com/posting/56 ... rtunities/
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Atlantic Towing looking for full crew

Post by JollyJack »

Based in St Johns. "Only those candidates who have the necessary qualifications will be contacted."

The main qualification is that you live in NL.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

It is always been that way in my experience. They take care of their own first.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

Hey JJ

tintean
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by tintean »

As for looking after their own; Atlantic Towing is a New Brunswick company, owned by Irving Oil. When I worked with them there were Poles, Russians, Bulgarians etc. working there and none of them lived in Nfld. In fact I was the only Newf on the ship.
Halifax_Stoker
Leak Patrol
Currently located: Halifax Nova Scotia

Post by Halifax_Stoker »

Well, this is only my personal experience but I left Atlantic Towing because of the NL crewing. I was an Engineer with them for 3 years and did a couple relief trips on the Condor. They needed me to go to Newfoundland and run 110v power and internet cables through their new purchase the RAVEN. The Captain and Chief wanted me to stay on the boat as permanent 3rd because my work and experience was better than their current 3rd. after application and interviews I was told the Saint John NB office would not send me there because I live in Nova Scotia (Originally From Newfoundland) and because they needed experienced guys on the tugs. At that time I decided to leave. I made almost $20,000 less on the tugs than a 3rd on the offshore. When I finally did put in my notice I stayed 6 more weeks (after my mandatory 2 week notice) to finish an engine job and a winch rebuild because they claimed they had no one else capable. I assumed I left on good terms and for the right reasons until 2 years ago. Wanting to find something closer to home I called Colleen to see if ATL was hiring, understanding they would stick me back on the tugs. I was told I turned my back on ATL and abandoned them so they weren't going to consider accommodating me. I have nothing bad to say about The crews there or the office for that matter, but that was just the experience I had with them.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Thanks stoker for sharing valuable insight.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

That's Irving for you.
oily
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: antarctica

Post by oily »

hire based on merit, then all arguments fall to the wayside
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Not in the Maritimes! :)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
pac22ken
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Miami Fl.

Post by pac22ken »

"Welcome to The Rock" ! That's one of the songs in the Musical "Come From Away". Its getting rave reviews and will be a Broadway hit. Based on
the true story when 38 planes were diverted to Gander on 9/11. Almost 7000 pax were stranded there for 5 days but were well cared for by
the Ganderians .
Atlantic
Leak Patrol

Post by Atlantic »

That musical would have been different if they came there to work. :?
Aavenger
Mechanic

Post by Aavenger »

Hey guys I am a Newfie enginer,know what pisses me off
Adds in French with no English I guess that's saying
If you aren't from Quebec do not apply!Also I am
At Hebron and there was just a heavy lift vessel
Here for 3 Years with nary a Canadian officer on here
Thanks to PF Collins who broker all these deals for
The foreign bottoms and the Atlantic accord totally
Ignored by the CNLOPB.So don't complain if a few
Newfs get a job .....
Atlantic
Leak Patrol

Post by Atlantic »

I don't have a problem with newfs getting a job. I don't have a problem with that they hire newfs first but when my company sends me there and the crew treats you like shit and does everything to make you leave because they think a newf should have the job it sucks. I don't want to go there but I have too to keep my job. A colleague of mine got anonymous phone call telling him to go home and death treats. Police traced the call to a pay phone never found the caller. I like Newfoundland I'm married to a newf and love going there for a visit, for work not so much.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

The 2nd on the heavy lift was a Newfoundlander, was he not?

Adds in full French have quite the strong implication... But you can't blame a French company for wanting to hire someone who speaks fluent French - if you're fluent, and possibly willing to relocate, you should be fair game.

Yeah, Atlantic - that's not okay for anyone to make you feel that way. But then again, man fuck em - this is work time not a play date, who gives a shit what they say. As an engineer, the machinery will be your friend heh
I've been in engine rooms where the other 3 people there speak French and when they have their conversations I can only pick out bits and pieces, I just go do a round and talk to the machinery haha

"how you doing today darling, not too hot are you? Thirsty? Need anything, be sure to let me know, talk to you later."
That's not weird, is it? Heh