GOOD MORNING SEAFAIRS! HIRING OFA 3 ASAP

Employers looking to fill Marine Engineering or related positions can do so here.
Duckman
Bilge Dweller

GOOD MORNING SEAFAIRS! HIRING OFA 3 ASAP

Post by Duckman »

Good morning ! Do you like fish ? If answer is yes… please read on and apply soon!

As a part of the Osprey team in Vancouver BC you will work closely with the charge hand aboard Osprey no 1 , activities will consist of assisting in all areas of the fish plant as well as being our OFA 3.

Position: Occupational First Aid Level 3

Join the osprey no 1 team today !

[email protected]
Last edited by Duckman on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mentatblur
Tanktop Cleaner

Re: GOOD MORNING SEAFAIRS! HIRING OFA 3 ASAP

Post by mentatblur »

JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Usually I would expect to see company name, location of company, positions needing filling and so on as part of a post.
I am tempted to treat this as spam, but I do see there is an actual Osprey1, so I will leave it.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

From a couple of years ago.

mrobert1962
Bilge Dweller

Currently located: Victoria British Columbia

Re: Exciting opportunity for TC 2nd and TC 4th class engineers!

Report this post

Postby mrobert1962 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:42 pm
Been there done this job, This company is probably the worst company i have ever worked for in my 30 yr career as an engineer.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

The Osprey #1 is one of the largest fishing vessels on the West Coast of Canada, is probably one of the "best" of it kind. It uses a mid water and bottom trawl to catch and process a large amount of fish at the same time. From http://www.marinerseafoodsint.com/
Owned and operated by the Mann family, the Osprey No.1 is a modern state of the art freezer processor vessel. Built in Denmark in 1998, she is 57.5 meters in length and weighs in at over 2000 metric tonnes. The Osprey No.1 is the largest fishing vessel on the west coast of Canada . She can process more than 45 metric tonnes of product per day, can freeze to –30 degrees celcius, and delivers over 625 metric tonnes of finished product into the port of Vancouver every 3.5 weeks.
Fishing in Canada is a very dangerous job, primarily because the boat is the company itself, and the catch is sold to a middle man who controls the price of fish, to a large extent. The catch's proceed is then divided into shares, to the crew and the boat. The more you spend on maintenance, which comes out of the shares, means less pay for you, or the more crew you have on board, the less to go around. So a fishing boat ends up operating in a very harsh environment with equipment of dubious reliability, and to top it all off, very short staffed.

If the boat gets caught beyond it limits, it sinks, kills three or four, and no one cares, no company bottom line affected, except the families of the victims - but who cares, they'll be more. The fish monger continue to dictate prices and the next shabby boat that is able to eek just enough money from the catch, to keep the most desperate going to sea.

I went fishing on several boats off BC and it was something I dreaded, and never hope to have to resort to again. The fatigue, dangerous conditions, large amount of work, and mostly aided by scary amount of drug use, is definitely not my cup of tea. You, as a crew, are at the mercy of the prices, dictate by office dwelling "traders" who end up making the most money with so little risk. Not to mention the environmental harm bottom trawls create, demolishing fish habitats, and decimating entire stocks in a few gulps.

I went fishing many years ago, perhaps it is different now, but I highly doubt it.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Good description Martin. A friend of mine was Captain on one for years. When the Canadian $ went to par with the USD it got really tough because sales dropped. the crew was working on their off shift to cover their living costs. Throw in a damaged FRC or engine and the ships share went up.
He hated Cat engines because they were expensive. I never really thought it through but if they were skimping on the Cat maintenance, then it would be expensive. If a Cat manual says do the top end at 10,000 hours or. 6000l of fuel (pulling numbers from air) it doesn't mean 11000 hours.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

I used to think Cats were the most useless pieces of crap ever designed to sell spare parts.........then I met Cummins.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

The Detroit 71 series, you couldn't kill them.