Lead Marine Engineer - Submarines (Submarine experience required)
Job ID: 24348
Location: Canada - Ottawa
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
1. Lead Marine Engineer (Submarines)
a. To act as Task Owner for Specific Design Tasks.
b. To lead the Marine Section of a Design Services Team as required and when authorized.
2. Principal Tasks and Responsibilities
The Lead Marine Engineer responsibilities will include application of mature engineering knowledge in the planning and execution of multiple challenging client tasks. The Senior Marine Engineer will demonstrate the ability to devise new design approaches, apply existing design criteria in new ways and draw conclusions from comparative situations. In addition, the Senior Marine Engineer will be responsible for:
a. Supporting the Design Team, Managers and fellow Senior Engineers in the conduct of all activities while building a reputation in their specialist field.
b. The day to day conduct, quality, effectiveness and timeliness of the technical services provided.
c. The maintenance and development of the professional and technical standards and capability of the Marine elements of the Design Team as a whole. To this end, the Senior Marine Engineer shall demonstrate the ability to write clear, business like, complex technical reports and proposals, provide presentations to colleagues and clients, demonstrating comfort in communicating with various audiences. They will use terminology and business terms clearly and concisely.
d. Developing and implementing technical working practices and policy for the Marine elements of the Design Team (in conjunction with the Managers) and shall ensure, where possible, that this is compatible with Customer working practices.
e. Correct implementation and use of Classification Society Rules, SOLAS and IMO regulations, and industrial standards such as ASTM, ASME, DIN, ISO.
f. Performing Class Rule calculations and detail design of propulsion shafting and bearings, fluid systems design, auxiliary equipment selection, pipe sizing, pressure drops, pump selection and material selection.
g. Working effectively as an individual, and, in a team environment, following the direction of the Team Leader / Manager.
h. Continually building experience in the design of Submarines and Naval Ships and / or Coast Guard Vessels to military standards and have an awareness of commercial standards.
i. Working with clients to formulate requirements and specifications and then develop these into concept designs, system functional and detailed designs including shafting and auxiliary / fluid system design, component sizing, equipment / pump selection, pipe sizing and pressure drops.
j. Developing drawings / providing oversight of drawing development. Will be responsible for marine engineering analysis and design for new ship and submarine designs.
k. Ensure that a safe, healthy and satisfactory working environment exists in the immediate working area and report any failures to comply with current regulations to management.
3. Interfacing Responsibilities
For the principal tasks and responsibilities identified in Section 4 to be carried out and discharged effectively, there are a number of limited responsibilities of other groups or persons that must also be discharged. Principal amongst these are:
a. Customer focal points of contact.
b. External contractors on technical issues as required.
c. Additionally, the Senior Marine Engineer will be responsible for ensuring regular and adequate communication between the Design Team Members on all aspects pertaining to the Marine Systems fields of responsibility.
a. The postholder has the authority to call upon and direct the services of Lead Engineers, Engineers and Technicians as necessary for the timely and successful execution of his assigned tasks. Prior agreement of appropriate line manager should be sought before any such action.
b. Discuss and agree technical issues with the customer and third parties, where such agreements do not affect existing or constitute new contractual arrangements.
c. Represent the Design Team in technical matters that fall within the postholder's area of expertise.
- Possess a Masters degree in mechanical or marine systems engineering, or, a closely related discipline with 12 plus years of relevant experience, or have a minimum of 20 years of proven work experience as a marine engineer in a submarine design related role with unique specialist knowledge involving submarine technology.
- Shall hold a provincial, state, or federal (national) licence to practice as a professional engineer, or, be Registered as an Internationally Chartered Engineer, or be eligible for registration.
- Possess a minimum of 10 years of post graduate and demonstrated experience in marine systems;
- Possess demonstrated experience as part of a design team; and have a background and experience with Submarine design, operation and support exceeding 5 years.
- Ideally possess PMP Certification.
- Proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite Products.
- Should have experience in the use of computer aided design packages.
https://erecruit.alionscience.com/psc/H ... tingSeq=1&