ME instructor, MI MUN, NFL

Employers looking to fill Marine Engineering or related positions can do so here.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

ME instructor, MI MUN, NFL

Post by The Dieselduck »

Instructor (Master of Maritime Management / Bachelor of Maritime Studies)
Memorial University of Newfoundland 47 reviews - St. John's, NL
School of Maritime Studies
Marine Institute

Instructor (Master of Maritime Management / Bachelor of Maritime Studies)

(Permanent Position)

The Fisheries and Marine Institute of Memorial University is North America’s most comprehensive marine institute dedicated to education, training, applied research, industrial response and technology transfer in support of oceans industries. The School of Maritime Studies, within the Marine Institute, is involved in a wide variety of education and training for the marine industry. This includes three and four year technology diplomas covering all aspects of the marine transportation industry, including Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering Systems Design, Marine Engineering and Nautical Science programs. As part of the School’s industrial response activity, short courses are designed and delivered to meet the regulatory requirement of certification endorsement for seafarers. As well, graduates of the Diploma of Technology programs are eligible to continue their studies in the degree programs offered at Memorial University, through the Marine Institute - Bachelor of Maritime Studies (BMS) and a course based Master of Maritime Management (MMM). We are now seeking qualified faculty to assist with the development and delivery of these programs and move towards a research based MMM program.

Duties
The successful applicant will be involved in the both the Master of Maritime Management and Bachelor of Maritime Studies programs for the development and delivery of courses within these programs as well as responsible for the supervision of students undertaking research. The successful candidate will also be involved with the ongoing program review process; participating with other faculty in the program review process; evaluating students’ performance and providing feedback to students; working with industry partners to ensure the programs continue to meet their needs; and performing other related duties as required.

Qualifications
Extensive experience (minimum 10 years) in the maritime transportation industry; a minimum of a master’s degree from a recognized and respected university; ideally with a maritime focused thesis; and previous teaching experience at the post-secondary level is an asset. An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered. Previous experience at the management level on board vessels is also an asset.

Salary Commensurate with Marine Institute Instructors’ Collective Agreement (NAPE Local 7405)
Closing Date November 17, 2017
Competition No. MISI-17-30

To apply for this position, please visit us on the web at: www.mun.ca/careers and click the “ apply on-line ” button at the bottom of the page. For further information concerning this opportunity, email us at [email protected], or contact the Human Resources Office, Marine Institute, Room E3306C, phone (709) 778-0440, fax (709) 778-0673.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. Memorial University is strongly committed to employment equity and especially welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, members of sexual minorities and persons with disabilities.

We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: ME instructor, MI MUN, NFL

Post by JollyJack »

So they want "education" types, doesn't matter if they don't know a hawse pipe from a macerator.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

JollyJack wrote:They don't know a hawse pipe from a macerator.
Oh excellent, I'll be stealing that one.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

de nada Revolver... :)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Aavenger
Mechanic

Post by Aavenger »

master degree give me a break.......
Ratherbeonvacation
Leak Patrol

Post by Ratherbeonvacation »

Funny!! Actually ironic.
The same people who are complaining about people being certified under the SSB 05/2017 fiasco are complaining because the training Institutions are asking for more qualified people.

Up in arms because people are getting higher certiciation without playing the memorizing game of the archaic Transport Canada system. Therefore not being as qualified as “you” Even though proven competent in the same courses by the worthless diploma that we achieve by finishing a 3-4 yr program

On the other side of the coin negatively commenting on the requirement for the Marine Institute of MUN to have there instructors hold a masters degree? Do you even know why? I do. It’s so students who wish to can leave school with a degree in their trade so the actual diploma is worth something and on par with counterparts in other parts of the world. It is part of the requirement for an institution to issue a degree.

Maybe these students who get the degree and then go on to memorize the exams for first class will be super engineers! Maybe even more qualified then the Pro’s commenting here? Look out folks their coming. Then they will be the guys commenting that “your” first class ickets will not be as good as theirs. Imagine that!!

Sorry for the spelling and grammar trying to type from a phone while traveling
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

If memory serves me correctly but when CPF's were being built in Saint John wasn't there a joint Bachelor's "Marine Engineering" or a "Marine" specialized Mechanical Engineering Degree program that is/was set up between the Mun and Saint John Campus of UNB Engineering Departments?
If that program is still available or has been rejuvenated to align itself with the government's ship building program. Maybe they are looking for someone with a Mechanical Engineering Masters Degree that is "Marine Specialized" and not a Marine Engineer in the definition of many of the Marine Engineer's that follow this forum.
In other words someone who, in theory, knows how design and build a ship but doesn't have a clue on how to run and maintain a ship, in many cases will never see or sail on their creations and never have their ears subjected to the colorful language of the "Marine Engineers" tasked with operating and maintaining the wonderful creations.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

This posting is looking for: "Instructor (Master of Maritime Management / Bachelor of Maritime Studies)"

Those courses are not marine engineer stuff outside rules and regs. You'll write essays about MAPOL annexes, how to combat pollution, work within regs, and how to write professional emails and fluffy stuff like that - they probably don't know the difference between a hawse pipe and a macerator...or at last they probably wouldn't know what a macerator is.
A masters degree is completely reasonable for this position to be a professor/instructor. When I went to MI a number of my instructors for the theory/maths courses had the masters or even PHD in an engineering field - most commonly mechanical engineering - of course.

NOW...if this was a job posting to be the welding shop instructor and they required Red Seal journeyman ticket, with 10 years marine fabrication experience, and a masters degree specializing in metallurgy - well then that may be a little extreme - but hell if that person exists and put in a resume for the position, they fucking well earned it lol

The MI instructors teaching marine engineering had most commonly 1st class ticket, one had a 2nd I believe, and they also had bachelor of technology and also...bachelors degree of teaching...er whatever a teaching degree would be officially called.

So yes, SSB05/2017 wasn't reasonable - this job posting is.
And yes, I hope the students who get the degrees and get the 1st class tickets are super engineers - doesn't that sound better for Canadian sailors than giving Chief tickets out to any fuckwit who wiped up the bilges for a few years?

I wouldn't call the diploma worthless, it saved 6 months of cadet sea time for 4th class, gives exemptions up to 2nd class, and you can work at processing plants, for example, as a mechanical technologist with the diploma of technology, AND you only have to do an additional ~1 year of school to get a Bachelors of Technology...a fancy degree.

Jesus, Ratherbeonvacation you sound some salty...did you get fucked over by SSB05/2017?