Assistant Manager, SeaBus Engineering
Coast Mountain Bus Company - Lower Mainland, BC
Oversees the work of staff engaged in SeaBus Engineering operations, ensuring safety and environmental practices and standards are adhered to while maintaining all SeaBus equipment. Provides support and maintains close liaison with Operation staff to ensure that maintenance is accomplished with minimum disruption of service.
- Manages SeaBus Unionized engineering staff engaged in the maintenance, repair and servicing of SeaBus vessels and associated equipment and infrastructure.
- Plans, schedules and monitors work, including preventive maintenance, engines/generators/RADs overall and replacement to ensure maximum availability of vessels to meet service requirements. Adjusts work priorities to meet changing conditions and inspects completed work to ensure vessel operating standards are maintained.
- Develops, recommends and manages the implementation of preventive maintenance programs, plans and procedures which comply with departmental practices and standards ensuring vessels and assets comply with local, national and international maritime legislation of the Classification Society and Flag State requirements.
- Analyses, investigates and implements solutions to technical maintenance and repair problems by gathering information, researching applicable vessel documents, trouble shooting for possible causes, discussing findings with the manufacturer and technical staff and conducting tests. Responsible for determining the severity of mechanical and electrical failures and recommending required action to the manager.
- Participates in developing the SeaBus Engineering budget and monitors approved expenditures. Prepares, processes and approves work orders and purchase requisitions.
- Backfills various leaves for SeaBus Operations Supervisors completing scheduling, MyTime entries/approvals and other Operational key accountabilities as needed.
- Responsible for the selection, motivation, guidance, training and performance management of union employees.
Education and Experience:
Completion of a recognized apprenticeship in Marine Engineering with a minimum of a 2nd Class engineer’s ticket or related field, plus courses in supervisory skills, labour relations and business administration. Plus five (5) years’ experience in progressively responsible positions, which include budget management and supervisory experience in the management of marine maintenance where operational and maintenance needs require a high level of planning and scheduling.
- Solid understanding of the marine regulatory environment with solid knowledge of the concepts, principles, practices and techniques of maintenance/engineering, and operations as it pertains to a marine environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Solid teamwork and interpersonal skills, including negotiations and conflict resolution skills.
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills.
- Solid leadership, development and team building skills to provide direction and manage reporting staff.
- Solid computer skills in MS Office suite and use of web-based systems.
Recruitment Process: An applicant will be required to demonstrate their suitability for this position by meeting the minimum level of qualifications and experience in order to be invited into the selection process. A standard interview format will be used including general, scenario and behavioural descriptive interview questions.
37.5 hours per week.
How to Apply
Please click the 'Apply' button at the bottom of the page or go to http://www.coastmountainbus.com/careers to apply for this position and view instructions on the process.
INSTRUCTIONS: Please save your (1) cover letter, and your (2) resume as one pdf document prior to uploading your application on-line.
Posting Date: December 12th, 2017
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Please note that only those short listed will be contacted.
Having trouble applying? Please view the System Requirements & FAQ's by going to http://www.translink.ca/careers.
Coast Mountain Bus Company is an equal opportunity employer.