Marine Chief Engineer
Levert Group - Halifax, NS
The Levert Group has provided industry ready personnel resources, executive recruitment, staffing and employment opportunities within the Mining, Oil and Gas, Marine and Industrial Sectors since 1983.
We are currently seeking a Marine Chief Engineer to join a vessel in Halifax on Saturday Jan 13 for a 3 – 4 week rotation. Responsibilities and DutiesThe Chief Engineer, in team with the Master, plays a significant role as a Manager of the vessel. The Chief Engineer is responsible for the technical management of the vessel. This includes the safe and efficient operation, maintenance and repairs of the propulsion unit, all auxiliary, hotel and galley equipment, cargo handling equipment and all machinery and electrical items onboard. Duties & Responsibilities
* A Marine Chief Engineer holds complete responsibility for the operation of the engine room and any maintenance of machinery onboard the vessel.
* As head of Marine Engineering on board ship, the Marine Chief Engineer works closely with the Captain, to ensure that the physical aspect of the vessel is completely under control.
* Must work within a small team to ensure that all maintenance is completed efficiently and in depth.
* The Marine Chief Engineer must maintain inventory for any spare parts, extra fuel and oil. This inventory must be kept up to date.
* Must also determine the volume of oil, fuel and lube required for each voyage and ensure that substantial quantities of each is on board.
* Manages Engineering Department personnel to perform maintenance and repairs to all vessel machinery.
* Maintains electrical power, heating, ventilation, refrigeration, water, sewerage systems, and electrical equipment.
* Responsible for routine maintenance of the machinery and equipment. This should include, but is not limited to, changing oil and filters, greasing the steering gear, anchor windlass, etc., performing electrical systems' maintenance, testing for and maintaining proper levels of diesel engine water treatment, and taking and mailing of lube oil samples.
* Oversees upkeep and cleanliness of all engineering spaces.
* Monitor and test operations of engines and other equipment so that malfunctions and their causes can be identified. * Oversees maintenance and repairs to engines, electric motors, pumps, winches and other mechanical and electrical equipment, life boat motors, and or directs other crew members with maintenance and repair duties.
* Performs and participates in emergency drills as required.
* Oversees and Maintains records of engineering department activities. He should see that details of every operation and activity should be properly maintained in log and record books, which state the compliance of the system.
* Chief engineer should lay down a set of standing orders for each engineering crew member under his command. The standing orders should be given in accordance with the routine maintenance schedule as laid down by the Planned Maintenance System (PMS), which is prescribed by the manufactures.
* Supervises all Engineering crew members including Electrical and Electrician and Service vendors. DESIRED
* Heavy Fuel Oil Experience is Preferred Vocational training is preferred. Qualified individuals with disabilities are entitled to reasonable accommodations to assist in their pursuit of employment with Levert Group. This includes assistance in completing the registration process (online or in the office).
To discuss accommodations needed to apply for a job, please call Levert Group at 1-800-461-5934 and ask to speak with a Recruiter.