Vice-President, Marine Fleet Operations
21 Aug 2019
St. John's NL
Detailed Job Description
OCEANEX INC. is Atlantic Canada’s leader in intermodal transportation that has serviced the Newfoundland market for more than 100 years. We provide door-to-door transportation service from anywhere in North America to destinations in Newfoundland and Labrador.
We offer our employees a positive work environment, competitive salaries and excellent benefits (medical, dental, eye care, short- and long-term income benefits, life insurance) as well as an entrepreneurial environment with solid career progression based on a result driven culture. When you are a member of the Oceanex team, you enjoy a stable career where your ideas are encouraged, and skills valued.
We are very proud of our 400 employees, exceptional commitment to safety and the environment.
VICE-PRESIDENT, MARINE FLEET OPERATIONS
We are currently seeking an experienced Vice-President, Marine Fleet Operations with strong management skills to aggressively manage our Marine Fleet Operations Department from St. John’s, Newfoundland. Our fleet is Canadian flagged and crewed and operates under a Safety Management System (SMS) that is certified under the International Safety Management (ISM) Code.
The Vice-President, Marine Fleet Operations is responsible for the overall safe and efficient operation and long-term planning of marine assets. This position contributes to company management functions as a member of the senior executive team, while leading technical and operational staff within the Marine Fleet Operations Department. Responsibilities include vessel maintenance, dry docks, new builds, fuel management program, crewing, training and labour relations, compliance, health and safety, ISO/ISM, marine operations budget and our fleet renewal program.
This position is to ensure that our vessels are available to service the needs of the business efficiently, effectively and safely.
• Manage Oceanex’s Marine Fleet Operations according to Company policies;
• Oversee the establishment, implementation, maintenance and continuous improvement of the Company’s Safety Management System (SMS) to meet the requirements of the ISM Code. This includes but is not limited to approving and implementing the Company’s Management and Operational Manuals both ashore and on board and reviewing its effectiveness annually;
• Oversee the company’s marine environmental initiatives and policies;
• Manage long term planning, vessel operations budgeting, fleet renewal and new building projects;
• Ensure compliance with standards set by national and international regulatory authorities;
• Liaise and represent Oceanex vis-à-vis government agencies and industry associations;
• Develop departmental budget and exercise duties within approved annual budget;
• Coordinate a cost-efficient distribution of tasks between Oceanex vessel management personnel;
• Conduct vessel visits;
• Chair meetings with Oceanex vessel management personnel for coordination and information flow;
• Prepare reports and documentation for company Executive Chairman and Board of Directors as required.
• Certified as Chief Engineer or Master Mariner with at least 5 years sea-going experience in one of these positions;
• Minimum 7 years of experience in a senior management position in marine fleet operations;
• Experience in strategic planning;
• Familiarity with governing bodies and relevant marine industry legislation;
• Computer literate, with proficiency in the Microsoft Suite of products.
• Excellent English written and oral communication skills;
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Above-average leadership skills and management abilities;
• Able to work under pressure and manage frequently changing demands;
• Enthusiastic, self-motivated, dynamic and self-confident;
• Strong analytical skills;
• Knowledge of French is an asset.
Please note that this position is permanent.
Compensation is in the range of $175,000 to $225,000 plus an incentive plan, subject to change depending on qualifications and experience of the candidate.
If you believe you have the skills we are looking for, please forward your resume as soon as possible to:
Human Resources Department
Baine Johnston Center
10 Fort William Place
St. John’s, NL A1C 1K4
Fax.: (709) 758-0360
Oceanex Inc. is committed to equity in employment and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. We thank all candidates for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. See Oceanex at www.oceanex.com