Director, Marine Fleet Operations
21 Aug 2019
St. John's NL
Detailed Job Description
OCEANEX INC. is Atlantic Canada’s leader in intermodal transportation that has serviced the Newfoundland market for more than 100 years. We provide door-to-door transportation service from anywhere in North America to destinations in Newfoundland and Labrador.
We offer our employees a positive work environment, competitive salaries and excellent benefits (medical, dental, eye care, short- and long-term income benefits, life insurance) as well as an entrepreneurial environment with solid career progression based on a result driven culture. When you are a member of the Oceanex team, you enjoy a stable career where your ideas are encouraged, and skills valued.
We are very proud of our 400 employees, exceptional commitment to safety and the environment.
DIRECTOR, MARINE FLEET OPERATIONS
We are currently seeking an experienced Director, Marine Fleet Operations with strong strategic, technical, communication, leadership and management skills to aggressively manage our fleet of container and Ro-Ro vessels from St. John’s, Newfoundland. Our fleet is Canadian flagged and crewed and operates under a Safety Management System (SMS) that is certified under the International Safety Management (ISM) Code.
Reporting to the V.P. Operations, the Director, Marine Fleet Operations is responsible for the strategic and day to day operational performance of the company’s ship management department, leading a team including senior shipboard managers, safety and quality management, superintendents, purchasers, Human Resources support and third-party contractors.
• Ensure that the ships are operated in compliance with the policies of the corporation and within the rules and regulations of the appropriate government authorities and agencies;
• Manage all matters related to the fleet to ensure and reinforce that a safe, environmentally sensitive and cost-effective operation is achieved and maintained;
• Oversee technical operations management including but not limited to : fleet performance, incident review, repairs & maintenance, dry dockings & in-water refits, computer-based maintenance programs (AMOS), capital expenditures & our fleet renewal program including new build projects, all in compliance with relevant legislation and the ISM code;
• Oversee crew management, training programs and marine related labour relations;
• Oversee the implementation, maintenance and continuous improvement of the Company’s Safety Management System (SMS) to meet the requirements of the ISM code;
• Oversee the Company’s marine environmental initiatives and policies;
• Oversee the preparation and management of budgets, ship management and fleet operating plans, maintenance of schedules and project management;
• Communicate and report regularly to senior management to demonstrate that the ship management department is providing the best valued solutions to support the company’s scheduled liner service;
• Assist inter departmental initiatives to support the business development of the company.
• Certified as Chief Engineer or Master Mariner with at least 5 years sea-going experience in one of these positions;
• Minimum of 5 years of senior shore-side vessel management experience;
• Strong understanding of ISM and understanding of Canadian Flag requirements and regulations;
• Relevant experience in the Ro-Ro, container and offshore industry;
• Proven decision maker and team leader with the ability to support the fundamental principles of delegation and accountability throughout the team, managing challenges and successes in a proactive and supportive manner;
• Strong verbal communication skills to all levels within the fleet;
• Strong English written communication skills and ability to establish clear and concise reporting;
• Knowledge of French is an asset.
Please note that this position is permanent.
Compensation is in the range of $150,000 to $200,000 plus an incentive plan, subject to change depending on qualifications and experience of the candidate.
If you believe you have the skills we are looking for, please forward your resume as soon as possible to:
Human Resources Department
Baine Johnston Center
10 Fort William Place
St. John’s, NL A1C 1K4
Fax.: (709) 758-0360
Oceanex Inc. is committed to equity in employment and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. We thank all candidates for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. See Oceanex at www.oceanex.com