CHIEF MARINE ENGINEER
Organization: Ministry of Transportation
Division: Eastern Region, Marine Services
Job Term: 1 Permanent
Job Code: 95603 - Eng & Surv Support (B/U) TEN15
Salary: $1,079.02 - $1,353.79 Per Week*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
The Ministry of Transportation, Marine Services Office requires a certified Marine Engineer for the position of Chief Marine Engineer, at their Glenora and John Counter Boulevard locations.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, your duties will include:
• providing technical advice and guidance to marine engineers and oilers in the operation and maintenance of mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and plumbing equipment in support of a 24/7 operation
• supervising and participating in the overhaul and rebuilding of all main engines, generators, propulsion units and compressor systems for the Terminal operations and the Ferry fleet.
How do I qualify?
• Marine Engineer Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada for the vessel.
• Marine Emergency Duty Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada for the vessel.
• Valid Continued Proficiency Endorsement Certificate.
• The position requires the successful candidate to have a valid G license or equivalent. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that s/he has a valid driver's license upon being hired.
• knowledge of seamanship principles and practices
• ability to provide guidance and technical advice to Marine Engineers and to develop guidelines or equipment operation and maintenance
• ability to understand and apply knowledge of Transport Canada regulations, Canada Shipping Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Environmental Protection Act to ensure the operation of the vessel in a safe and lawful manner and respond appropriately to emergency situations such as an oil spill
• knowledge of the safe and efficient operation of all shipboard and shore equipment for Marine Services, including maintenance, troubleshooting, disassembly and assembly, etc.
• working knowledge of standard computer programs and the ability to use diagnostics software for specialist equipment
Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills:
Analytical and problem-solving skills:
• to identify signs of equipment malfunctions or failure
• to respond to emergency situations and develop strategies to affect prompt and safe repairs and minimize vessel down time
• to discriminate between situations requiring future maintenance and immediate need for replacement/repair
• to discuss inspections, repairs and modifications to vessels and shore equipment with Transport Canada officials to meet compliance requirements
• to represent the ministry's interests in writing and verbally with contractors
• to advise municipal staff on equipment and maintenance matters
1 Permanent, 35 Hatchery Ln, RR 4, Picton, East Region
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Maintenance and Trades
Tuesday, July 2, 2019
How to apply:
You must apply online.
Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Tuesday, July 23, 2019 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d'emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Note: The only website where you can apply on-line for positions with the Ontario Public Service is http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca
https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Apply.aspx ... bID=136859
Employers looking to fill Marine Engineering or related positions can do so here.
1 post • Page 1 of 1