SENIOR MARINE ENGINEER
Organization: Ministry of Transportation
Division: Wolfe Island Marine Services
Job Term: 1 Temporary up to 6 months (with possible extension)
Job Code: 17288 - Senior Marine Engineer 2
Salary:$28.31 - $30.84 Per Hour*
Here is a unique opportunity: Bring your expertise in seamanship and organizational skills to the Wolfe Island Marine Services, where you will be a key member of the team.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Under the direction of the Ferry Captain and the technical guidance of the Chief Marine Engineer, work involves maintaining and operating all vessel engines, pumps and related equipment on an end-loading ferry operating between Kingston and Wolfe Island by:
• conducting regular shift inspections, checking and testing equipment
• oiling and greasing equipment
• removing and replacing worn parts
• checking for oil, water and fuel leaks
• reporting malfunctions to Captain or Chief Engineer
• maintaining vessel's plumbing system
• assisting in the operation and maintenance of terminal equipment, compressor station equipment and various equipment overhauls as required
• providing direction and guidance to Oilers
How do I qualify?
You must have a:
• Certificate of Competency as a Marine Engineer, 4th Class Certificate issued by Transport Canada
• Marine Emergency Duties Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada (STCW Level Minimum)
• Marine Medical Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada
• Demonstrated knowledge of seamanship principles and practices
• Knowledge of routine and emergency procedures relative to Marine Operations
• Knowledge of operation and maintenance of engines, generators, water and power supply, hydraulic systems and ramps, and other mechanical equipment
• Familiarity with use and maintenance of all lifesaving and firefighting equipment aboard ferries
• Problem-solving and analytical skills to detect problems or potential problems in equipment and respond appropriately in emergency situations
• Proven ability to make decisions involving routine operation, maintenance and repair of all marine equipment in ferry operation
• Planning and organizational skills to conduct shift inspections of onboard equipment and other equipment maintenance
• Interpersonal and communication skills in dealing courteously with passengers and other members of the public, and a commitment to delivering quality customer service
• Ability to communicate effectively as part of a crew responsible for safety of passengers, fellow crew members and ship
1 Temporary, duration up to 6 months, 295 Ontario St, Kingston, East Region
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Science and Engineering
Wednesday, July 8, 2020
Effective July 1, 2020, the correct salary range for this position will be $28.31 to $30.84 per hour in compliance with current OPSEU collective agreement provisions.
The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
How to apply:
You must apply online.
Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Wednesday, July 22, 2020 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d'emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Note: The only website where you can apply on-line for positions with the Ontario Public Service is http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca
Employers looking to fill Marine Engineering or related positions can do so here.
1 post • Page 1 of 1