Design of Coast Guard's fisheries ships led to fears of capsizing

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Design of Coast Guard's fisheries ships led to fears of capsizing

Post by JK »

JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Design of Coast Guard's fisheries ships led to fears of capsizing

Post by JollyJack »

Well there you have it, the Navy haven't a clue when it comes to ships and BC ferries, I rest my case.

"Jeffrey Smith, the former head of shipbuilding for B.C. Ferries, said such a serious flaw should have been caught early.......Smith is a former chief engineer in the navy"
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

It started many years ago, as the designs sat on the drawing board, every year the ship got shorter and shorter to meet budget, however it did not change the mission or the height. Little surprise to this article, Gordon Reid and John Jacobson come to mind.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Matthew is another. I was told they designed the ship, didn't have the money, cut out 50 feet. What do they have in common? DFO and Pacific
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

I know a company running PSVs in the North Sea that recently built some PSVs without any Stability tanks, unheard of for this type of ship.
When they came into service they rolled on wet grass. Had to put them back in dry Dock and build big stability tanks across the back end of the accommodation.
The Naval Architect had calculated the stability with all the cargo tanks full all the time, and decided Stab tanks weren't required and he could save space and money by omitting them!!
Didn't have a clue that PSVs load cargo in Port, take it out to the platforms, discharge it and come back empty, but what can you expect of a Naval Architect?
BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.