Biological sewage system

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Biological sewage system

Post by Big Pete »

I came upon an article in the press about this and searched online for more info and came across the article below.

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/mi ... lectricity

I wonder if we could adapt this, in a cost effective manner, to form the first stage of a marine sewage treatment plant?

Generating electricity from the sewage plant has to be a bonus in our environmental times.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Biological sewage system

Post by JollyJack »

During the war, chickenshit was used as a fuel to power motor vehicles, there was a dire shortage of gasoline. The London County Council uses Ruston TA gas turbines to operate the sewage treatment plant, fueled by methane from the sewage. There must be at least 2 million shits a day in London to provide enough fuel, but that's no problem, London is full of it!

Sweden developed the Pegasus system to extract fuel from wood smoke. A "combustion chamber" smouldered wood shavings to provide thick smoke which was led to a scrubber to remove solid particles. The resulting gas was compressed and cooled to become a liquid which was used as a fuel. Here's a German version of Pegasus.

http://www.driveonwood.com/library/pegasus-gasifier/
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: Biological sewage system

Post by Merlyn »

Well that's just about the most descriptively titled speech that I ever heard about the mighty city of London to date, methinks the jury are still out on this one. Dunno when your next visit is due but you better have a good incognito jobby on board or you could well be in the sh one t here.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.