Canfor (BC) in Mackenzie looking for 2nd Class (CE) Williston Transporter

Employers looking to fill Marine Engineering or related positions can do so here.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Canfor (BC) in Mackenzie looking for 2nd Class (CE) Williston Transporter

Post by The Dieselduck »

Chief Engineer
Tracking Code 488-108
Job Description

Canfor is one of the world’s largest and most respected integrated forest products companies. Global success is achieved through a consistent on time delivery of the right product in all faucets of the business. As a means of diversifying and managing the flow of timber to the various operations located in the interior of the province, re-introduction of the custom built, 360’ long, log transporter will be used to move timber ten months a year from various locations on Williston Lake to the docking station located near Mackenzie, B.C.

Reporting to the Master, the Engineer is responsible for the following duties:
Repairs to vessel and mobile equipment;
Routine and preventative maintenance to vessel and mobile equipment;
Parts inventory management;
Communicate to Master repairs that are beyond on-site repair capabilities;
Maintenance log data entry;
Participate in safety meetings and emergency response drills.

Schedule of operations is 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off operating 10 months of year with anticipated non-operating months occurring in April-May.
Required Skills

Second-Class Marine Engineer Certificate
Capable Welder
Possess/acquire Transport Canada’s STCW Basic Safety Training
Possess/acquire Transport Canada’s Medical Examination Certificate
Good organizational skills, time management skills to manage completion of a wide variety of tasks
Self-motivated with strong communication skills, and the ability to work in a team environment.

Applicants are requested to include verification of 12 months of working on a marine vessel within the past 5 years.

There has never been a better time to join the Canfor team and become part of the modern forest industry. We have a wide range of rewarding careers in some of the best communities in North America, with plenty of room for advancement. Our mills are modern, high-tech and safe; and our marketing and sales activities are world-class. We offer competitive compensation and benefits packages, and are committed to the professional development of our employees.

Job Location Mackenzie, British Columbia, Canada
Company Location Mackenzie Fibre
Position Type Full-Time/Regular

https://canfor-openhire.silkroad.com/ep ... &jobid=488
hdowson
Bilge Dweller

Re: Canfor (BC) in Mackenzie looking for 2nd Class (CE) Williston Transporter

Post by hdowson »

I replied to this and was very surprised to find out for a vessel of close to 7000hp and their plan to have only 1 other person to help out that salary would be so low. I am wondering if this becoming industry standard to have not even an E.R assistant on vessel. I work on a vessel with close to the same HP with an E.R assistant and 3 other engineers. I thought TC had higher manning requirements for vessels of a certain size.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

If the machinery has a 24 hour supply iof oil and fuel, an ERR is not required.

Marine Personnel Regulations.

224 (1)

b) in the case of a vessel that has a propulsive power of more than 750 kW, an additional person who holds, at a minimum, an Engine-room Rating certificate.

(3) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply if

(a) the machinery essential to the safe operation of the vessel has automatic operational features that, while the machinery is in operation, provide fuel to the machinery and lubricate it from a supply of lubricant that is sufficient to enable the machinery to operate continuously at full load for a period of at least 24 hours; and

(b) the propulsion system of the vessel is remotely controlled from the bridge or the vessel is not manoeuvring.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Steamboat Al
Leak Patrol
Currently located: Home

Post by Steamboat Al »

I applied for this job but never heard back from Canfor, probably because I would not move to Mackenzie, BC and for a good reason. I did some research and if what I discovered was indeed correct she had been previously been laid up and is on a 1 year charter to move coal after which her fate is unknown. I think it would be a big risk to move to Mackenzie, BC for only what could turn out to be a 1 year job.
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

If I'm not mistaken this would be the Williston Transporter built in the 90s for Finlay Navigation, an ice breaking log ship / ferry operating on Willliston Lake, created by the WAC Bennet Dam. Mackenzie was nice in the late 90's. A mill town with the usual perks, full services, lots of churches and such. I suspects its been pretty much ignored since the mill closed 10 years ago or so, and the loggers focused on the Pine Beetle ravaged forest further west and south.

Mitsubishi powered I believe, at the time herald as one of the largest icebreaking vessels of its kind.
MV Williston Transporter
MV Williston Transporter
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
hdowson
Bilge Dweller

Post by hdowson »

Well for what I understand they are not moving coal but lumber 10 months of the year but salary very low and the only help you will have is from a heavy duty mechanic who is also responsible for loaders. So whoever is interested better be young and healthy to put in lots of hours for low wages
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

low pay... probably not enough to afford the long-johns you'll need, ehhehehe
Martin Leduc
Steamboat Al
Leak Patrol

Post by Steamboat Al »

Just a little update here. Canfor were in touch with me on a voyage all the way to Siberia and then Tuk. The requirement to live in Mackenzie is a dead issue and as for wages while I won't disclose what they are offering me it is a very substantial daily rate for the C/E's position. The only outstanding issue is paid travel to and from Mackenzie and so I have asked for the rotation to be 4x4 instead of 2x2 as the cost of travel to Mackenzie is quite high. Hopefully we can get this issue resolved for everyone in the future as it seems to be a real sticking point for Canfor.

Cheers Al
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

Thanks for the follow up.
Martin Leduc
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

All travel to the ship and return to the point of origin should be paid by the employer. IMHO
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Looks like they are looking for a 2nd class again for Williston Transporter

Post by The Dieselduck »

Looks like they are looking for a 2nd class again

Chief Engineer
Canfor - Mackenzie, BC
Canfor is one of the world’s largest and most respected integrated forest products companies. For more than 75 years, we have been delivering top-quality lumber, pulp and paper products to our valued customers worldwide. With operations in Western Canada and the Southern United States, and sales offices around the world, you can find Canfor products in every corner of the globe. We are leaders in sustainable forest management and in converting wood residuals into green energy.

As a means of diversifying and managing the flow of timber to the various operations located in the interior of the province, re-introduction of the custom built, 360’ long, log transporter will be used to move timber ten months a year from various locations on Williston Lake to the docking station located near Mackenzie, B.C.

Reporting to the Master, the Engineer is responsible for the following duties:

Repairs to vessel and mobile equipment;
Routine and preventative maintenance to vessel and mobile equipment;
Parts inventory management;
Communicate to Master repairs that are beyond on-site repair capabilities;
Maintenance log data entry;
Participate in safety meetings and emergency response drills.

Schedule of operations is 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off operating 10 months of year with anticipated non-operating months occurring in April-May.
Required Skills
Second-Class Marine Engineer Certificate
Capable Welder
Possess/acquire Transport Canada’s STCW Basic Safety Training
Possess/acquire Transport Canada’s Medical Examination Certificate
Good organizational skills, time management skills to manage completion of a wide variety of tasks
Self-motivated with strong communication skills, and the ability to work in a team environment.

Applicants are requested to include verification of 12 months of working on a marine vessel within the past 5 years.

All qualified applicants are invited to apply on-line today!

There has never been a better time to join the Canfor team and become part of the modern forest industry. We have a wide range of rewarding careers in some of the best communities in North America, with plenty of room for advancement. Our mills are modern, high-tech and safe; and our marketing and sales activities are world-class. We offer competitive compensation and benefits packages, and are committed to the professional development of our employees.

Mackenzie, BC

"The sky’s the limit" is the district’s tagline, and it couldn’t be more fitting. Mackenzie is home to the world’s seventh largest reservoir, Williston Lake, and the World’s Largest Tree Crusher. Once you’re in Mackenzie, you’ll want to go hiking at Morfee Mountain- once you’re at the top, you’ll witness the most incredible scenery that highlights the beauty of BC.

For more information, visit http://canfor.com/our-company/our-commu ... ckenzie-bc
Steamboat Al
Leak Patrol

Post by Steamboat Al »

One of the first C/E's quit and went back to BCF's thats all..
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Was the travel sorted out? That's a big chunk of salary every 2 weeks to travel, no wonder they're looking for engineers
Steamboat Al
Leak Patrol

Post by Steamboat Al »

It's slowly sorting itself out but trying to convince a donkey that he's a donkey can be hard :) Part of the problem is the location with no scheduled flights etc.
Steamboat Al
Leak Patrol

Post by Steamboat Al »

Well here's the final installment on this saga, CANFOR finally decided to not pay any travel costs, downloaded them onto my pay so now my salary is substantially lower. I believe that I was lied to for the last 4 months as they kept telling me that they were working on a solution to the payment of my travel costs but as soon as they got someone else to sign a contract without any travel they immediatly took the possibility away from me and said they would not pay at all!!!
Do your friends and everyone a favour stay away from this operation. If they don't put it in writing you can bet that they will not honour their word and will screw you.
Off to look for work with people that actually have morals.