Info on tug "C.N.2" needed

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
harbourlightmarine

Info on tug "C.N.2" needed

Post by harbourlightmarine »

I am hoping someone will be able to help me help a friend find info regarding the steam tug "C.N.2", in service towing rail barges between Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia from 1928 to 1956. This vessel was built in England in 1919 as a Saint Class rescue tug for service in the North Atlantic and was sold in 1926 to A.H.Raid of Vancouver B.C for use as Vancouver's first fire boat. In 1928 Canadian Northern Steam Ships (a division of C.N. Railways) bought her and at this time a two drum, steam powered towing winch made by Washington Iron Works of Seattle was installed.The tug was then used for towing rail barges till 1956. The vessel went on to a new life in 1958 as the "Polaris", owned by Texada Towing and used as a rescue tug in the North Pacific for less than a year and then scrapped after Texada Towing declared bankruptcy. My friend builds beautiful scale replica's of tugs used in the Pacific Northwest and is currently building one of the "C.N.2". Unfortunately he has not been able to find pictures of the towing winch built by Washington Iron Works of Seattle who have been out of business since 1987. If anyone can help with pictures (even a similar winch on another vessel), info,websites, etc. it would be greatly appreciated.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Info on tug "C.N.2" needed

Post by JK »

I would look at the SS Masters towing winch. It is probably very similar.
harbourlightmarine

Re: Info on tug "C.N.2" needed

Post by harbourlightmarine »

Thanks for the tip, I will pass it along.

Chris