MED refresher

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
tintean
Deck Plate Wanderer

MED refresher

Post by tintean »

Can anyone explain, in plain English the regulations for MED refresher course. Is there a "grandfather" clause? When does it come into effect and what will it entail.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: MED refresher

Post by JollyJack »

If your Certificate has expired more than 5 years ago, you must have an MED "refresher" to renew. For ratings and 4th Class Engineer or Watch Keeping Mate (STCW III/1 and II/1 respectively) the refresher is MED STCW VI/1, Basic Safety. For higher ranks it is, in Canada, MED D, for Senior Officers.

The Marine Personnel Regulations conforming to STCW 2010 (Manila Amendments) have not been written yet, in Canada. However, renewals are covered in the STCW 2010 Convention and, as far as I can see, there's not much difference except that "Bridge Watch Resources" and "Engine Room Resources" replace MED D. You can read all about it at www.imo.org
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Some clarification, recently released, on this subject. For Ratings, the required refresher is Basic Safety (VI/1) and survival craft (VI/2) and lasts 4 days.

REFRESHER TRAINING COURSE IN STCW BASIC SAFETY AND IN PROFICIENCY IN SURVIVAL CRAFT AND RESCUE BOATS OTHER THAN FAST RESCUE BOATS (REF-STCW BS + PSC)

In accordance with the requirements of Chapter VI, Section A-VI/1, paragraph 3 and tables A-VI/1-1 and A-VI/1-2 of the STCW Code, Specification of minimum standard of competence in personal survival techniques and in fire prevention and fire fighting and In accordance with the requirements of Chapter VI, Section A-VI/2, paragraph 5 and table A-VI/2-1 of the STCW Code, Specification of minimum standard of competence in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats.

A minimum of 25 hours of instruction was given covering all sections of the approved syllabus

Officers have to add on Advanced Firefighting (VI.3) refresher, the course is 5 days.

REFRESHER TRAINING COURSE IN STCW BASIC SAFETY, IN PROFICIENCY IN SURVIVAL CRAFT AND RESCUE BOATS OTHER THAN FAST RESCUE BOATS, AND IN ADVANCED FIRE FIGHTING (REF-STCW BS + PSC + AFF)

In accordance with the requirements of Chapter VI, Section A-VI/1, paragraph 3 and tables A-VI/1-1 and A-VI/1-2 of the STCW Code, Specification of minimum standard of competence in personal survival techniques and in fire prevention and fire fighting, in accordance with the requirements of Chapter VI, Section A-VI/2, paragraph 5 and table A-VI/2-1 of the STCW Code, Specification of minimum standard of competence in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats and in accordance with the requirements of Chapter VI, Section A-VI/3, paragraph 5 and table A-VI/3 of STCW Code, minimum standards of competence in Advanced Fire Fighting

A minimum of 30.5 hours of instruction was given covering all sections of the approved syllabus

Refreshers will be starting in the Atlantic area in the spring 2016, cost per course, as far as I can ascertain, is around $1000. You will need the refresher to renew your Certificate after 1st Jan 2017. As every Canadian Certificate will expire on 31 December 2016, you'd better get your dibs in for a refresher!
EL
Mechanic

Post by EL »

EL
Mechanic

Post by EL »

Refresher Courses Available

Newfoundland

Marine Institute – combined STCW Basic Safety and STCW Survival Craft

Dates: February 15th – 18th

March 15th – 18th

4 day course $1965.00

Nova Scotia

Falck – combined STCW Basic Safety and STCW Survival Craft

Dates: December 9th – 11th

3 day course $ 1360.00

Survival Systems Training - combined STCW Basic Safety and STCW Survival Craft

Dates: January 24th – 27th

February 21st – 24th

March 27th – 30th

May 24th – 27th

June 5th – 8th

4 day course $1295.00

NSCC Nautical Institute – Combined STCW Basic Safety and STCW Survival Craft & Combined STCW Basic Safety, Survival Craft and Advanced Fire Fighting

MED Ratings Refreshers (Basic Safety & Survival Craft)

Dates: March 21-24, 2016

March 29 - April 1, 2016

May 24-27, 2016

May 31 - June 3, 2016

June 27-30, 2016

4 day course is $ 1025

MED Officer Refresher (Basic Safety, Survival Craft & Advanced Fire Fighting)

Dates: April 4-8, 2016

May 16-20, 2016

June 20-24, 2016

4 day course is $1275
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

This new regulation is an interesting one.
It's expensive enough (for people who's company might not pay) and it's physical enough to be too much of a bother for a number of the 'older' people near retirement to go through. This is going to knock a lot of people out of the game...

Wasn't a horrible course, just a big nuisance.
NBsailor
Bilge Dweller

Post by NBsailor »

Just in the midst of completing the officer MED refresher now. I can't see many of the employees I work with being physically capable of completing the course. It's a lot more intense than when I completed my MEDs 11 years ago. .. I can only imagine how the guys would feel who completed them 40 years ago or those who are not in the same physical shape they were in when they completed their far.

I'm enjoying the course thus far.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I was on a ship Monday that was under the power rating to write more then a 3rd. Good job for someone that is on the back end of their sailing career, sucks for the younger guys. Last week I was on one that was tied up because the engineers had exceeded their hours of work. That change has been too long coming. the wheel just keeps going on.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

That must have been a Government ship! :)
marineprojectgroup
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Nanaimo BC

Post by marineprojectgroup »

There are no exceptions to the refresher and nothing TC can do about it because we have to adhere to the new STCW bureaucrats. It is a 4 day course and costs $1400.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

MED Refresher is not required in sheltered waters, NC2 or NC1 voyages on the Great Lakes, west of Anticosti. It's not required at all (subject to section 106 and 107 of Marine Personnel Regulations) until 1st Jan 2017.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/bu ... 09-eng.htm
tintean
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by tintean »

Just looking at the requirements for STCW 2010. It seems to me that if your certificate expires on Dec 31, 2016 or before you do not need the MED refresher course until you go to renew again (i.e.) in 2021. Am I not understanding this correctly?
Sumaiya369
First Time Poster
Currently located: India

Post by Sumaiya369 »

I was looking for such answers too.Great information on what to do after MED.