New engine

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: New engine

Post by Merlyn »

Who is this Melvyn character you refer to? Can't seem to find him in the membership listing anywhere. And to think I was going to offer you the UK franchise for the B/S kit. TTTT now as you have got me thinking about an article on Desiccant filters. Keep the Faith.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

My apologies for the typo MERLYN.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Thanks for that, it's just I don't want any misspelling on my Stomper Medal.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

hey Mervyn. some paragrapghs would make it so much easier to read on a screen, but I second Big Ps commment, Holy C***
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Perhaps I will go back to my BSF / BSW spanner then. Paragraphs it is then . The reason for the continued flow was to keep you riveted to the screen and miss nothing. A continuous flow rating was applied there. Took me a long time to write that you know. Merlyn. ( Mike Echo Romeo Lima Yangee November. )
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor

Post by Big Pete »

spelt with a YANGEE, now that is unusual!

BP
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Got it in one!
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor

Post by Big Pete »

Send my Salaams to Morgana the Faye.
B.P.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Crikey BP, I didn't know you were into the Sorcery side of things, and so knowledgeable and authorative to boot. I have to say I always thought that your answers and replies to problems encountered on the site were down to your personal knowledge but I have to confess now that there could be other forces at work here it may appear. Reading your replies I always thought to myself, Old BP has swallowed yet another workshop manual but now I am thinking darker forces could be at work here. I have to further confess that in my thoughts hobby wise I always had you down as a golfer/ chess person / pocket billiard player ( on rainy nights ) maybe but never Sorcery. In writing I would thank you for your kind comments concerning my mastery of the B.S. Machine, I really didn't realise you were so familiar with same ( B.S. that is ) I did pass your message on to her indoors but I fear you may be in the same boat as JJ and JK and like I advised them perhaps you too had better sleep with the light on tonight. Keep Spooking.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

but I fear you may be in the same boat as JJ and JK and like I advised them perhaps you too had better sleep with the light on tonight. Keep Spooking.
Should I be worried? I stopped carrying big wrenches as a pacifier, years ago.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

We need the name of the piece of kit in which this anode lives and to that end I am concerned that the red Indian tribe after whom it is named could be heading your way in view of not being acknowledged so maybe you ought to dig out that old wrench or name the anodes home?
Feliks
Superintendent
Currently located: Kraków,Polska

Post by Feliks »

Well, sometimes you can use the models made by others, and do not spend money on their models. Here you can see very well that this model boats, capable of flowing even into the wind .. But demonstrator, not even suppose that, in this way, is also a way to produce wind, because the boat is sailing faster and for this reason, the wind acting on the windmill you will be getting stronger ... if you are a boat tied to a string to floating around, it will float forever ... .. unless my eyes deceive me .. :roll: .. of course my solution, instead of the classic windmill, windmill will be Red Baron version double teaspoon, which closed Roots and the propeller will power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Rw_qJytbG8

Andrew :D
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Interesting concept for the astern mode only ships, just a thought to achieve the ahead mode as most ships seem to steam that way, reverse the polarity on the fan mains supply and get it to run the other way maybe to steam ahead perhaps? That way it would fit in better with the other traffic encountered whilst at sea. Bit of a steep propshaft angle which might lend itself more to submarine propulsion methinks, you know, bow down attitude. Still don't quite see where the anodes live though. You know the ones, the Raritan ones. ( Indian Tribe ones ) I have to confess in writing I have seen that airflow system on deck before, when the log/GPS/sextant/etc system packs up you can tell by the tune played on the pipes exactly the speed attained. Should you hail from Scotland and be a bagpipes fan this can, in certain cases prove to be a distinct advantage. Maybe have to draw 33 inches of vacuum to go astern though, could present a bit of a problem in a blow and crosswind applications. Wondering if you supply a three phase supply and tap off one positive input only if any advantage could be attained on days when the QNH and QFE readings were reduced. Just a thought. Well anyway, keep up the good design work, as a further point of interest just got my old CE books out together with my old slide rule and have worked out that your attempts to beat the worlds fastest attained crash dive could soon be realised. In conclusion I might add it would appear to have something in common with a lot of management out there at the moment, rudderless?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Clock mechanisms?