OMO Packets in the Window

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

OMO Packets in the Window

Post by Merlyn »

Driving around a Naval housing estate what did the famous OMO washing powder container in the window mean?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Re: OMO Packets in the Window

Post by Big Pete »

Old man Out?
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Nearly BP, Old Man Overseas. Ring a bell?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Then you could ring the doorbell on a Saturday night complete with your recently turned liner tucked under your arm and extol to the lady of the house in great detail the difference twixt a L/H turned liner and a R/H turned one to promote further interest in the subject as of course we all know in the trade that there is of a difference between an anti-clockwise one and a clockwise machined one. Oh, by the way, what is the difference?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Crank rotation, Liner seasoning in the Caribean v top end of Canada, closer grain than normal, more graphite impregnated than usual, astern camshaft applications, high lift cam profiles use age, Synthetic oil use age , for handed liners it's none of these?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Hey JJ, if you are still writing exam papers this would be a good one for you, puts a twist on things and would show your students that things in the engineering world are not allways as they seem. That there can be variants on things out there, go on, give it a try? Dig deep on your experiences.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

I don't write the Exams, I only mark them. :) Good one for Orals though!
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

So a Writer slips this one in as part of the new syllabus , how you gonna mark it if you don't know yourself. Internet won't help you on this one?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

No word out there re these liners yet?
Somebody must know ?
Anti-clockwise V clockwise turned cyl liner?
What's the difference?
Dig out those old ref. books if the old brain is seizing up.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Two stroke liners v four stroke liners machining rotations?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

There must be some marine engineer out there somewhere who can help me with this liner definition/ answer?
Clues?
Anti-clockwise machined V Clockwise machined Liner differences?
Variants of explanations?
Things are not allways as they appear?
Could it be a trick question?
You don't need to have certificates to answer this question?
Straightforward or not?
You folks with a lot of sea miles and experience ought to see through this one?
You'll kick yourself when the answer is revealed?
Those who, like me who have been groomed into being "set up " might possess an advantage here?
There, virtually told you.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Come on JJ, you must be on hols at the moment from marking those papers, think deep,give it your best shot, it's exactly the same difference over here as it is over there, a clockwise turned liner V an anti-clockwise one difference.
I don't want another Stomper medal because I hear that Martin is digging out an old rack bar so I can turn it upside down to carry all these medals I am earning.
You know pin it on my chest for my visit over there so all will recognise me.
Have to be carefull with an extra medal on board when slurpy by the quay for negative buoyancy problems.
There is only one liner major difference which you can see from the discription of same?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

How about the advantage of a clockwise turned liner over an anti-clockwise ?
Thinking about it ( and this is all pre CNC ) although most lathes turn both ways normally the anti-clockwise mode is used.
So for an anti-clockwise liner the toolbox holding the cutting tool is right in front of you so you can " keep a eye on it " when taking a cut.
Now to take a cut to produce an clockwise liner you would have to turn the cutting tool over, i.e. upside down.
However this could well have a distinct advantage insomuch that the cast iron swarf would just fall away by gravity as opposed to the anti-clockwise turned liner which requires more effort to propel the swarf upwards before dropping into the lathe bed.
Further more on some liners the undercut diameter beneath the flame ring is not subject to so much stress utilising the clock wise cutting mode and as such possibly does not render it liable to stress fracture occurring.
Some of you may well be aware of stress relieving processes carried out when working with cast iron.
In other words only approx half the effort is required to machine a clockwise liner V an anti-clockwise one?
In other words the stress induced is approx 42% less during manufacture.
This could well be reflected in the longer projected life of the liner concerning stress fractures of the flame ring areas so often found apon stripping.
So less manufacturing stress during manufacturing cast iron machining clockwise liners V anti-clockwise ones possibly equals L.L.L.? ( longer liner life )
Yes?
Anybody?
Could this be the answer we are seeking?
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Answer to what? :)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

There is a distinct difference between an anti-clockwise turned cylinder liner V a clockwise turned one.
Do you think the cast iron stresses in a clockwise turned liner would be less than an anti-clockwise turned one as I explained earlier?
If not what could the difference be?
Got to be less cutting effort/induced stress by projecting swarf downwards to fall away from the tool versus cutting effort required to project the swarf upwards into the air?
Maybe a hidden little used formulae for this happening?
RPM/density/close grain/type of cutting tool/ground angle of cutting tool/tool steel used/type of impregnated graphite/type of travelling steady/tipped tool?
However, with inside info it's easy?
But maybe without not so easy?