NFLanders only - TC 3rd Class for Offshore

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

NFLanders only - TC 3rd Class for Offshore

Post by The Dieselduck »

Never received a reply, ever, from Reliance, after many years of trying, so I strongly suspect this is for NFL residents only.
m.
-----------------------

third engineer
Reliance Offshore Canada Inc. - St. John's, NL
$43.08 - $46.87 an hour - Full-time, Temporary
Languages

English

Education
College/CEGEP . Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.)
3rd Class Marine Engineer Certificate . Experience
2 years to less than 3 years . Additional Skills
Supervise and co-ordinate activities of engine room crew . Specific Skills
Operate main engines, machinery and auxiliary equipment on ships; Stand engine room watch, monitoring and noting performance of engines, machinery and all auxiliary equipment; Inspect and conduct maintenance and emergency repairs to engines, machinery and all auxiliary equipment; Maintain records and prepare reports on engine performance and failures . Work Site Environment
Confined spaces; In/on water; Noisy . Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
Fast-paced environment; Work under pressure; Physically demanding; Manual dexterity; Attention to detail; Hand-eye co-ordination; Combination of sitting, standing, walking; Tight deadlines . Work Location Information
Remote location .
Refrus
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Nova Scotia Canada

Re: NFLanders only - TC 3rd Class for Offshore

Post by Refrus »

You know the person who posts NFLanders only should choke on his words because there is a shit load of NFLanders working in other provinces. With out the other provinces you would starve to death. How would you guy's like it if we said Nova Scotia or New Brunswick people only, NFLanders would be pissed. I still think the owners of Diesel Duck should not allow postings like this and these people should be banded from the site. I will keep saying this and pushing the issue postings like this should not be allowed.
Thanks for listening
Last edited by Refrus on Sun May 08, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm currently unemployed but looking for new ventures. I'm looking for a job which is stable in beneifits So if anyone one is looking for & engineer I would like to know.
xheadsailor
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by xheadsailor »

I quite agree with you; its a disgrace that as a Canadian I cannot even apply for jobs on the east coast. Is there anything we can do to change it?
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

I post these job adverts, coming from various sources because they are relevant to our community.

Obviously I will continue to post these adverts, however I wish that the crewing agents would be more forthright about the position up front, a little honesty would save us all some time. Instead the crewing agents lack common decency of even answering their phones, or having a simple autoreply enable for their email service.

Now, I don't see a particular problem with the laws that stipulate that Newfoundlanders should get offshore jobs first. But obviously there is allot of work in Newfoundland right now, judging from the amount of job adverts, even in this depressed economy, for the marine engineering members who frequent this community. My issue is that I have a feeling that if no Newfoundlander is found to fill the job, usually on a modern, foreign ship, then the job goes to a foreigner altogether, instead of going to other Canadians, who may not reside in Newfoundland. This is a huge problem for me.

Obviously these "trade barriers", protectionist barrier, or whatever you call it, will eventually bite someone in the ass, as it should. Because if we all adopt this type of philosophy, we will all lose, as Canadians. Can you imagine if Alberta, Ontario started imposing these restrictions' it would be entirely fair in this context.

A personal story for me on this topic. There is a cable ship in stationed in Victoria, has been for almost 15 years. A long time ago I had weaseled my way onboard for a looksee, and maybe get a job, as I was a licensed engineer looking for work, and it was stationed in my home town. It was, still is, a foreign ship, but the crew was Canadian and from Newfoundland. I am not sure if it still is, but really, you know... it kinds gets to you.

I tried numerous times to contact the crewing agent for the ship over several years, and never once got a reply. Instead, I ended up going "deep sea" because I could not find anything local - I feel better for it, but it did take its toll on the family.

That same foreign cable ship still stationed in Victoria, and another ship, the Neptune, were pictured in the local news last night. A story on how great it was going to be, to be installing new features to the scientific underwater observatory off Vancouver Island. Ocean Networks Canada, a project administered by UVic, but, by and large funded by government (my taxes). http://www.cheknews.ca/ocean-networks-c ... on-173587/

So to recap I have a foreign ship, working in my backyard, for many, many years, getting money from my taxes, with a non local crew, and I cant even get a email acknowledgement, polite or not. So when I respond to a solicitation of interest, in hearing from qualified TC CoC by an east coast crewing company, who can't be bothered to even reply, i get a little frustrated.

I hope some see the stupidity of this picture, because it seems I saw it a long time ago, and it pissed me off then, and still pisses me off now.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

There is not a lot of work in Newfoundland right now.
There's scatter contract jobs. This job is scheduled to only be 60 days. The previous Reliance job, which was filled by a NLer, was scheduled to only be 3 weeks (and is finished now).
Small contract jobs, RARELY anything permanent. Oil is down, so all our AHTS ships are either working already or tied up/laid off. The Tankers are full. CCG have rare opportunities. Local Ferries have some openings...but like...chiefs wage is 30$/hr...

In the Atlantic Accord agreement a stipulation was that NL work hires NLers first, and if none fill the spot they hire outside - but they fill the spots so they don't often go about looking outside NL.