Proper Job

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Proper Job

Post by Merlyn »

image.jpeg
Proper little engineroom, no common rail, no cushy control rooms, get out amongst that open valve gear, clock the different coloured pushrods.
Even the valve springs are painted?
Two little Mans.
Fancy a change?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re: Proper Job

Post by D Winsor »

Looks to be a museum piece, a German U-boat maybe?
I venture to guess that the valve springs didn't hold paint very well when the engines were running.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Awesome, but tight space.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

image.jpeg
Take your big box of "O" rings, olives both stepped and normal ones, flaring tool ( both single and double flares ) and check all sized formers are in the flaring kit before setting sail. Oh, and a 26 tpi hacksaw blade or two.
Lot of pipe work leaks on the way here methinks.
Get the levers with the motorbike chain attached.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

image.jpeg
Forerunner of the control room. Control platform. Don't see any markings on the valves but it appears colour coded port Stb.
Loads of gland packing here to be had together with a good memory for which valve does what.
Yes DW you were correct.
It's U 995 ashore for a looksee around. On my list of priorities to do.
First thing I thought of when I saw those valve springs was little half round sections of dried paint going down the pushrods tubes over the camshaft into the sump and thence the oil filters.
But I guess the only way to run this feller up would be to weld a 4/5 inch pipe coupler into the main engine sea suction, get a fire engine water tender round, screw the brass hydrant water fitting into the inlet, run a couple of slave leads up the torpedo tube and off you go.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Don't worry JK, I've turned it over, your name is not on it.
image.jpeg
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

image.jpeg
Old DC motors, skim the comm. file and fit those carbon brushes, don't lose that coil spring. Gallons of Shelac on the windings here.
Analogue gauges era.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Laid in your bunk with ten other pairs of sweaty feet jammed in dreaming about that water in the sump of the Stb engine. The pump up and pressure test you conducted earlier revealed no external water leaks so you know in your hearts of hearts it's that bottom cyl. Liner"O" ring, but which cylinder? Churning it all over there's no way over it, you know you have to do all six "O" rings .
Pulling that last seized liner ( it's allways the last one ) at 800 feet down with our lot hurling 45 gallon drums of HE ( high explosive ) over the side with the pressure hull playing tunes and popping and starting to weep does not make for a good day out.
Thoughts of is it true if a rivet lets go at that depth it would pierce you ear or worst?
No run up jobby here, surface and straight up on the governor and away.
And we complained on surface ships?
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Written by Cyril Tawney, sung by Tom Lewis, both submariners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mfZKhw1Osc
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Interesting song, accent sounds from around my area.
Here's the way out and in, only split pin built bodies on this ship.
Any Jumbo Derricks type persons not suitable for crew members down below, they have to sail as deckhands.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I sat with a fellow from Joiner System at Maritech 3 weeks ago. He was a USN submariner for 30ish years. He thought I was crazy for working surface ships in the NAtlantic. 3 1/2 months submerged and hot bunking is my version of crazy. Fascinating conversation as there was a steel guy with us and there was a long conversation on pressure hulls, duty cycles and if Red October was fairly accurate.
He was surprised when I told him the sub in Widowmaker had a fibreglass conning tower so it would match the original sub.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

image.jpeg
Grrrup subs eh?
Don't forget to wave?