Mutiny and ER fight

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Mutiny and ER fight

Post by JK »

This must have been a nasty ship to be on.

http://gcaptain.com/bulk-carrier-benita ... -on-board/
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Mutiny and ER fight

Post by The Dieselduck »

Ive been on some, but this must have been a real winner. Plus everyone probably has a blade or two. yikes.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Ariend told me about a ship they took over. Every bunk had a pipe length tucked down beside the mattress.
JK
Enduring Contributor

A Huge fight between all crew.

Post by JK »

It just gets worse as more details come out

Oil leaks from Mauritius mutiny ship

Oil spill booms have been put in place around the grounded bulker Benita with reports over the weekend of bunker fuel washing up on the nearby shoreline.

An attempted mutiny, followed by a huge fight among the all Filipino crew of the bulk carrier Benita led to its grounding on reefs off Mauritius early on Friday morning.

Divers are assessing the ship today with early reports suggesting three out of five holds have been damaged. Five Ocean Salvage is starting to pump out the ship’s bunker fuel today.

Meanwhile, the engineer who was medevaced from the ship, Alvin Maderse, has had to be put into an induced coma as his situation deterioriated over the weekend. The engineer was struck in the head by a metal pipe by a fellow crewmember, Omar Palmes Taton, who has since been held in a police cell charged with aggravated assault.

Investigators are interviewing the master and crew of the ship to identify what happened.

Meanwhile, the national coast guard is being questioned how it failed to notice the ship had entered Mauritius waters before it hit the rocks.

24/7
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

now it is an medical issue? Other reports had a shooting onboard.
I suppose we will never know for sure.
“The grounding followed an incident on board involving a crew member who suffered a serious medical episode which led to him attacking one colleague before causing extensive damage to the engine room systems that led to a loss of power to the vessel,” the statement said. “During the intervening time that it took to restore power, the vessel went aground. The injured crew member is receiving medical attention ashore for this seizure. There was no suggestion of a wider conflict on board and all the remaining crew members are safe and accounted for.”
http://gcaptain.com/insurer-says-mv-ben ... ot-mutiny/

Once aboard, the coast guard team entered the engine room, which had been barricaded, and arrested the chief engineer, who was the suspected leader of the fight aboard the ship. He was evacuated for medical treatment; local reports indicate that he had been shot. The remainder of the crew are safe.
http://www.maritime-executive.com/artic ... -grounding
mentatblur
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by mentatblur »

Wild.

What's even more hilarious (to me!) is that island of Mauritius is where my parents were born! They immigrated to canada in the 70s. Island in the middle of no where.. can't tell you how many times I've attempted to explain the location to curious people. Also cool to see a Mauritius helicopter. Apparently I don't know much about my "motherland" or whatever.

Must have been some crazy medical condition.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Drugs related???

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
pac22ken
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Miami Fl.

Post by pac22ken »

Was booze a factor ? I'd be surprised if it was. Just tinkin...in 50 years at sea with heavy drinking being very common until into the 90's when it became not so much fun anymore, I never did see much aggro. The odd punch here an there but never a 36"pipe wrench raised in anger. During most
of 70s on ships with officers and crew bars open 24/7 on honour system...if no barman on duty just sign the book. Recall once a party when a cadet..big guy who after a few drinks asked the chief who was being a jerk up to the (MT) pool to sort things out...Chief prudently declined the offer.
Best job was in 80s..4 years on cruiser "Caribe 1" .. a classic launched Glasgow 1953 as immigrant ship TSS "Olympia". The company Commodore Cruise Line gave allowance of 10 free beers a week to encourage mingling with passengers to give them a "Loveboat" experience. Access to 7 passenger bars and the crew bar at super discount prices...an if that wasnt enough ...cabin delivery, just write the order for the room steward in the morning an the 2 botlles and case of beer were there in the PM. There was also a drinking den ..which was the photographers darkroom. They had their keg or 2 delivered every week in St. Thomas. Walking by after the 12/4 i'd hear "You coming in for a pint ? " I'd grope my way in the total dark for a few before supper. Good times but the winds of change were blowin...before leaving the co. a new management had taken over ... free beer discontinued....salary dropped ! The good times as we knew them were coming to an end. That was OK with me ...had met the wife onboard so time to change...but good memories.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

I started as a Cadet in 1971 and there was a culture of heavy drinking on British Ships, as you say Bars open 24/7 on an honour system.
I never say any violence when people had had too much to drink, maybe because we were nearly all Beer drinkers & Beer had a lower alcohol content in those days and we were full to bursting before we got fighting drunk, and the alcohol lowers inhibitions, so it will only cause those people who are already pre disposed to violence to start fights. Personally I used to just fall asleep in the corner of the Bar!
I remember as a 5th Engineer coming off watch with the Senior Engineer and frequently drinking straight through the 8 hours off until we were called for the next 4 hour watch.

Long gone times, nowadays we have people doing drugs or smuggling spirits on board and drinking behind closed doors, a lot less predictable, the earlier stages of a problem all occur in secret and nobody can intervene until it is too late.

BP.
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

If I remember correctly, I only saw one outright violent incident on a ship were an oiler beat the crap out of a steward. Booze was involved and the steward was considered a thief and the oiler was suspect on his mental stability. Lay days and 12 hour days put an end to the heavy boozing, internet access put an end to card playing in the messes and social interaction.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

Over here I can remember well the heavy crew boozing in predominately the sixties and seventies.
Cross Chanel ferries departing at midnight were manned by crew who frequented the pubs from the ships 6 pm arrival time til the next depart time midnight.
Heavy sessions would be the norm and sometimes you would know them by working with them on repairs and refits and drink with them.
Dockers, mooring gangs, little motor boat crews who put the lines over the other side of the harbour to winch the ships off ( no thrusters then ) gangs of them in all the harbour side pubs.
This was the norm, out of the pub and down the engineroom for an eight hour shift well slurpy.
I am sure mistakes happened down below through the old ale many times but they seemed to get away with it.
I personally knew of many engineers who died of acholism, how they kept their jobs I will never know.
Certainly couldn't do it now but back then everybody drank.
You were the odd man out to be ridiculed if you never joined in.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

I sailed on a ship in the 80s that was divided down the middle with drinkers and non-drinkers. I was just as bad as the rest until I almost did myself in doing some DC wiring, then smartened up. It was the most bizarre work environment I have been in and I place a lot of the responsibility for the poisonous atmosphere directly on the Chief Engineers shoulders. He never dealt with the really dangerous going ons. Same ship as my last post.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Jumped ship and changed sides eh?
And to thing I was going to buy you a drink in London on your trip.
Ah well, such is the converted.
All those runs ashore a distant memory.
Boring golf then?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

golf....shudder.....
how boring.

I'm sure my liver would stand a drink with you Merlyn.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

I am so glad that you haven't really changed sides and that you agree with me that a game of golf spoils a good walk.
You will have to take an ale break from your air miles gathering voyages somewhen.
I'll start saving now knowing you are an old sea dog type with loads of adventures on board which with the passage of time and gin you will commence to unload on me.
Allways remember the old adage,
" The bigger the gin the bigger the waves "
P.S.
Don't forget to bring your old bearing scraper.