UnmannedEnginerooms

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Re: UnmannedEnginerooms

Post by Revolver »

Knock off the over speed sensor and then make sure the mechanical over speed doesn't go?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

Nope. You are effectively going to trick something on the engine to show max acceptable results
Hence the name of the kit "False " but false what?
Remember no " old Timer " stuff here , CR only.
No backing off injector pipes any more to equate equal drop down of cyls here.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well, no news forthcoming to ID this CR bit of kit yet, photos jog anyone's brain yet?
Good for Upto about 16 litres, bigger stuff has a lot of diagnostics built in to the looms and/ or diagnostic multi plug in sockets.
So False what?
Gauges not needed anymore as in the " old days "
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

I have found when diagnosing common rail engine problems that one of the necessary kits required to interrogate the system ( among others ) is the Delphi Common Rail Sealed Rail kit.
This can be done through the diagnostic plug or remotely via Bluetooth.
Several makers of injection systems are catered for with all the necessary adaptors being provided for in the kit.
Numerous tests can be conducted to pinpoint problem components.
Throw away your old long handled screwdriver that you used to plug into your ear as a listening device, those days are
Long, long gone and without the diagnostic kit you are no better than the average bear in the street.
In order to see what the HP pump is doing and if the ECU is correct in telling the pump what to do at varying stages we need to interrogate this side of the common rail system.
As well as the remainder of all the kit one box contains the necessary to do just that.
It's the answer I have been seeking.
A Common Rail FALSE ACTUATOR KIT.
So to do this side of it, plug in/Bluetooth the kit.
Out with the fuel inlet metering valve and select the false actuator necessary for the HP pump fitted.
Attach the loom, remove injector harnesses to prevent a start up and crank for a minimum of 5 seconds.
This " tricks " the ECU and it tells the pump to pump at maximum pressure as its pumping up against a "dead head".
Some of these PSI/bar readings can be up around 25,000 pounds per square inch so if you thought the old days were bad enough re skin impregnations this takes it all to an entirely new level.
Some manufactures tell us on courses that should you back off a union anywhere then that pipe should be replaced and not used again.
Any fuel contaminations re anything like high octaves then it's new pump, injectors, all pipe work, filter, every actuator, every sensor in fact anything where fuel flows through must be replaced.
Why? On courses We were shown a stripped HP pump roller bearings and it was just as if you had carefully held it against the bench grinder and put a nice flat on it. Such is the lube property of LFO.
I have since those courses stripped defective pumps I have diagnosed and found indeed this is true.
You are talking many thousands of pounds here for parts alone plus labour plus downtime.
So no manual pressure gauges here, all the readings taken are stored onscreen and can be sent thousands of miles away as Rolls Royce are now doing.
My original question was how RR have devised a system to bypass this test but to date I cannot find any info about this particular test on the net.
They boast that they have a ship with virtually no crew operating remotely and, believe it or not all defects being also repaired remotely.
The 16 litre LFO engine I wrote about which was done by the fuel injection makers remotely via Delphi via me looking at the engine was by them from hundreds of miles away with both of us using just a laptop, ( Not the engine manufactures, you are told on courses in many cases do NOT look at the MAN / whatever badge, it's the injection system manufacturer we are interested in only )
Won't work on CATS HEUI systems as they are oil operated via a separate oil pump in the sump. ( Hydraulically )
So anyone any ideas on this?
How has RR got over the FALSE ACTUATOR test?
Any RR people on the site?
Somebody out there knows.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

I have found when diagnosing common rail engine problems that one of the necessary kits required to interrogate the system ( among others ) is the Delphi Common Rail Sealed Rail kit.
This can be done through the diagnostic plug or remotely via Bluetooth.
Several makers of injection systems are catered for with all the necessary adaptors being provided for in the kit.
Numerous tests can be conducted to pinpoint problem components.
Throw away your old long handled screwdriver that you used to plug into your ear as a listening device, those days are
Long, long gone and without the diagnostic kit you are no better than the average bear in the street.
In order to see what the HP pump is doing and if the ECU is correct in telling the pump what to do at varying stages we need to interrogate this side of the common rail system.
As well as the remainder of all the kit one box contains the necessary to do just that.
It's the answer I have been seeking.
A Common Rail FALSE ACTUATOR KIT.
So to do this side of it, plug in/Bluetooth the kit.
Out with the fuel inlet metering valve and select the false actuator necessary for the HP pump fitted.
Attach the loom, remove injector harnesses to prevent a start up and crank for a minimum of 5 seconds.
This " tricks " the ECU and it tells the pump to pump at maximum pressure as its pumping up against a "dead head".
Some of these PSI/bar readings can be up around 25,000 pounds per square inch so if you thought the old days were bad enough re skin impregnations this takes it all to an entirely new level.
Some manufactures tell us on courses that should you back off a union anywhere then that pipe should be replaced and not used again.
Any fuel contaminations re anything like high octaves then it's new pump, injectors, all pipe work, filter, every actuator, every sensor in fact anything where fuel flows through must be replaced.
Why? On courses We were shown a stripped HP pump roller bearings and it was just as if you had carefully held it against the bench grinder and put a nice flat on it. Such is the lube property of LFO.
I have since those courses stripped defective pumps I have diagnosed and found indeed this is true.
You are talking many thousands of pounds here for parts alone plus labour plus downtime.
So no manual pressure gauges here, all the readings taken are stored onscreen and can be sent thousands of miles away as Rolls Royce are now doing.
My original question was how RR have devised a system to bypass this test but to date I cannot find any info about this particular test on the net.
They boast that they have a ship with virtually no crew operating remotely and, believe it or not all defects being also repaired remotely.
The 16 litre LFO engine I wrote about which was done by the fuel injection makers remotely via Delphi via me looking at the engine was by them from hundreds of miles away with both of us using just a laptop, ( Not the engine manufactures, you are told on courses in many cases do NOT look at the MAN / whatever badge, it's the injection system manufacturer we are interested in only )
Won't work on CATS HEUI systems as they are oil operated via a separate oil pump in the sump. ( Hydraulically )
So anyone any ideas on this?
How has RR got over the FALSE ACTUATOR test?
Any RR people on the site?
Somebody out there knows.