OMO Packets in the Window

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
pac22ken
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Miami Fl.

Re: OMO Packets in the Window

Post by pac22ken »

I'm working on the questions Merl...need a little more time. I tink i got the answer for OMO. L/H V R/H is a tough one...doing mucho research .
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

Nice to hear from you again pac22ken, As we started off together way back with only a stretch of water between us I am thinking you could well be the one to crack this one.
We are, it would appear to be , how can I say, on an even keel talking about the answer ?
Possibly the way foward is to look at ones roots in marine engineering which could differ from Country to Country?
Maybe more of an understanding of the question and clues given in this neck of the woods than perhaps other areas out there?
The way foward might be similar to my write up concerning T.T.T.T. back along.
Nobody seemed to know the answer ( time to turn turbines ) but you may be able to see through this one?
Therefore further clues might be what I am attempting to do here which is,
C.T. H ?
I first learnt this one back in the sixties over here but I have to say it has remained with me ever since and from time to time it's still there.
By recognising what this means could save you a lot of embarrassment ?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Top O the morning to you pac22ken.
Knowing you are close to the answer here I feel you are due a further clue re the liner problem.
Wouldn't want you changing the wrong handed one north of the equator somewhen.
CTH, the C is for "Cranking " .
I can hear the gears turning in your head from here.
I'll be tinking you are now on the way to cracking this one.
TST mind
( Top Secret Technology mind )
( You didn't get it from me )
Shhhhh
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
pac22ken
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by pac22ken »

Take it easy on me Merlyn...I'm still working on the first question. An OMO packet in the window ? What can it mean. ? Could it be an uppity
Mrs. Bucket (Its BOO-KAY dear ! ) type of woman who wants it known that she uses OMO an not any of those inferior products such as Rinso,
Persil ,Fab,Tide, Surf or Lux. Or is she giving a signal to say "I'm 'On My Own' an feeling lonely". Thats the best i can do on the OMO question (Do I get any marks ?) ... now for the serious L/H v R/H Q. I'm poring over W.A.J. Chapman's "Workshop Technology Part 3"
Have actually read more of it in past few days than in the 50 years since bought. 660 pages...no mention of C.T. H. I had 'C' for 'clockwise'..
but you say 'Cranking' . Chapman makes reference to Frederick Winslow Taylor's classic ' The Art of Cutting Metals". So read his book ...
published in 1906 ( You said pre CNC ! ). Not a mention of C.T.H. The American Taylor was very brilliant. He conducted ~40,000 metal cutting experiments. But he was also arrogant and elitist. He stated before a congressional committee -- :
" I can say without the slightest hesitation that the science of handling pig-iron is so great that the man who is physically
able to handle pig-iron and is sufficiently phlegmatic and stupid to choose this for his occupation is rarely able to comprehend
the science of handling pig-iron "
He was the founder of Scientific Management...which was to make workers work like robots 100 years before the idea of replacing
workers with robots. Anyhow...still dont think i'm closer to cracking the code...all over the place...Ernst & Merchant Theory, Ackworthie,
Victor P Astakhov, Shamoto, Bishop & Mcdowell , Lee & Shafer , Hencky Equations Theorem ,Dewhurst...an a dozen others.
You say dig out the old ref. books....which one is it in ?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

OMO packet in the window.
Driving around Royal Navy housing estates in the sixties / seventies in our neck of the woods one could observe OMO packets clearly displayed in several windows.
This was to be construed to convey the message " Old Man Overseas " .
I would deduce from what you say that not only are you a goodly soul but alas may have not furthered your career in this department.
In other words maybe you " dipped out " ?
However that sorted I have difficulty marking your paper as you could indeed be CTH?
The reference book possibly required here is the book of life based on ones own experiences down below etc.
Think back of that old lifeboat engine, you know the one with that old Lister/Petter twin fitted.
Cranking it over with the decompressors up and listening to that very distinctive Onk Onk noise of the injectors getting that inertia building up in that big old flywheel before dropping one decompressor and hopefully away on one.
Now you did remember no thumb over the starting handle for fear of not having the knack and coming up solid against that 22-5 to one compression ratio apon dropping the lever and nursing a very painful broken thumb for weeks didn't you?
So the answer to CTH lies in your past experiences and for you to recall what you were doing in an attempt to start that old lifeboat engine.
In other words you were CTH.
pac22ken
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by pac22ken »

Yea OK...knew it was a trick question. So now i can throw all those books in the re-cycle bin. Gotta get all my wordly possessions to fit
into two suitcases. Before I go...heres one for you. N.J.N.R.R. ?? Can you crack it ?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Blimey, will try
But after all these clues, CTH =what?
So what's the difference twixt a Clockwise liner V a Counterclockwise one?
We still need to know.
pac22ken
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by pac22ken »

Phook...ill take a wild guess here.....Cranking The Handle !
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Spot on guess, so when you crank that lifeboat engine handle you "wind her up "
Not far to go now?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

N.J.N.R.R.?
No joy now repeating researching?
Close?
pac22ken
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by pac22ken »

Well credit must be given for a very good answer without being given any clue...an especially as it gave me a real good laugh ! :lol:
But sorry not the required answer. So heres a clue ... E.P. : " N.J.N.R.R." Its not Enoch Powell..you remember that guy ?
They should have listened to his words of wisdom !
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

E.P., your engineering prowess?
Extreme Pressure gear Oil?
No matter how I shuffle it it's not saying a pint of the black stuff.
Yes, R.O.B. Speech was spot on all those years ago with Enoch Powell.
But Liner problem still needs sorting?
Never Join Navy Run Run?