Anthem of the Seas. Hag or Princess?

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Anthem of the Seas. Hag or Princess?

Post by JK »

The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Anthem of the Seas. Hag or Princess?

Post by The Dieselduck »

A bit of a weird article though, but yes, impressive vessel.

A view of the ECR on sister ship Allure of the Seas
allure of the seas ecr.jpeg
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

There's no way I'd sail in that, imagine evacuating in an emergency!! 4000 + people in 30 minutes? Not a a chance!
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: Anthem of the Seas. Hag or Princess

Post by Merlyn »

As long as you take your spare Set of clutch plates for the slew gear motors you'll be ok.
And of course keep head to wind at all times as we have all seen the turn back in a bit of roughers.
Can't see the centre plates in Martins photo.
Probably hung up on a nail behind one of the computer screens.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

OMG the MCR.

Can you imagine JJ! 200 plus passenger lifeboats for the punters and the crew going over the stern in chutes. You think that's going to work? Already proven it won't in seas.
Who the heck is going to go get them? No one has ships to manage that number of people. You would need an aircraft carrier. And what happens if there's a collision between two in Alaska? Now you have to manage 10,000 pax and crew.
Even that one going through the Arctic. WTF!! There's no good charts unless the ship is Russian.
I just look at the sea going tenements in pictures and that's close enough.
I'm not putting my life in the hands of unknown officers. 10 years ago no one would even consider the Costa Concordia accident. That's a preamble to what could happen.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Got a big enough tug up your way?
Perhaps one follows it, hull down, just over the horizon so the passys don't see it.
Maybe need more than one on reflection.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

I want to check the lifeboat capacities (373 pax) and found this blog:
http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/01/ar ... -the-seas/

Holistic....in theory.

I read an article about a chute test where a woman went down and got stuck, bum down and folded up. By the time they got her out she was dead from positional asphyxiation. She suffocated. Alongside in calm weather. I wonder how many brown paper bags changed hands to get the things approved .
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Merlyn wrote:Got a big enough tug up your way?
Perhaps one follows it, hull down, just over the horizon so the passys don't see it.
Maybe need more than one on reflection.
One of the Costa ships had an engine room fire and ended adrift. I can't think of the ships name now. A FV responded and got a line on them and started moving them in the direction of port. When the tugs showed up they refused to drop the tow. The biggest haul they ever made LOL
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Well I heard a rumour that to be a chief on there would call for new specifications concerning the wearing of the four gold stripes.
No one stripe denotes ability to repair the automatic robots serving passengers drinks remotely at the drop of the hat as this is advertised as being one of the ships main features in the bars and as such the ship cannot sail without the robots.
No two stripe is for the year spent at Wartsila soldering/ repairing printed circuit boards , resistors, diodes , ic's etc without the use of a soldering gun. ( or shaky hands here ) Hot air gun spec here. ( make sure the diodes face the right way )
No three stripe is a degree in enthralment necessary to entertain passys at the dinner table each night. You know, the bigger the gin the bigger the waves stories.
No four? Oh, that's for marine engineering. The sort of watching flyin repair crews at work whilst underway.
You know, passing them spanners and polishing that dropped valve head even more than the head/ piston / liner had.
Could be so for people entering the trade in my opinion.
Don't fancy it personally
Too much aftershave and polished fingernails for me.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Just heard the pass mark for the Chiefs no one stripe is 87-5% and not like the remainder 60% ( JJ take note )
Such is the importance of phasing, calibrating and programming the auto robot boys.
You may wonder why but to set up the timing on these robots is no mean feat.
No helical gears scribed or centre punched / stamped 20/21/22/23 degrees before TDC here to ensure correct squirting.
This nowadays is all controlled by the ECU/ECM and as such has to be calibrated at the start up of every drinking session.
With all said and done if you ordered a pint of beer you wouldn't want to end up with a pint of still mineral water would you?
Because 5,000 drinkers plus need to be catered for here all 45 gallon drums of ( for example ) still and fizzy mineral waters are kept in the engine room stores and piped up top.
Now alongside these and T 'eed and Piggybacked into same lie 45's of distilled water and that itchy stuff that goes into batteries, ( you know what I mean, that stuff that burns your pinkies when you dip them in the cell to do an SG test )
All that separates them apart is a 12/24 v solenoid on the distribution block valve head.
Now just image a lecky spike or similar and a drinker ordering a pint of mineral water ends up with a pint of the itchy stuff.
I can see his headstone now in my minds eye ( as you do )
" Poor old Anthem passy,
Alas he is no more,
For what he thought was H2O,
Was H2SO4 . "
Just a thought.