TC and Fuel sulpher testing

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

TC and Fuel sulpher testing

Post by JK »

and if you missed it, TC will now be testing for sulpher content in FO in NA-ECA waters

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/bu ... 08-eng.htm
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: TC and Fuel sulpher testing

Post by The Dieselduck »

call me cynical but i believe this is just threats again, since they barely are able to get out of the office due to budgets considerations and such
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Not many 1st Class tickets and Masters want to take a pay drop to become a policy wanker because TC is busy getting rid of their inspection role in the Canadian marine world.
I wonder how long before we have the marine equivalent to Lac-Mégantic.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

HA! We have portable fuel analyzers, Inspectors trained in their use and a standing contract with DNV to analyze submitted samples. The budget has been increased for sulphur and nitrous oxide emmisions (NOX & SOX) and annex VI of MARPOL will be enforced. Every ship entering Eastern Canada reports ROB of fuel, including sulphur content. I check all their declarations. Any obvious discrepancies (eg 25 tonnes of compliant fuel on a ship bound for Montreal is flagged and checked at Montreal.

Any complaint of excessive emmissions are investigated. In either case, the fuel would be sampled at the engine (not in the day tank) and if the sample doesn't agree with the declaration, the sample is sent to DNV for analysis. If DNV confirms the sulphur content is too high, we have various actions we can take, from Criminal Code for providing milsleading or untrue information, to detention, to holding a deposit equivalent of the maximum fine ($1 million)

And it's happenng NOW.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Maybe they should consider gas sniffers fitted under the bridges the ships pass under like they do in Europe.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

Smoke meter probe in the funnel uptakes on every ship, aerial on the funnel transmitting readings via satellite back to the powers that be and a man with a pair of handcuffs waiting for you when you dock next.
Twenty first century after all.
Probably come true shortly.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
pac22ken
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Miami Fl.

Post by pac22ken »

George Orwell's vision of the future wasnñt so far off...... would've been closer if book had been titled '' 2034'' .
Appears to me that climate change damage is already done so no matter what emission regulations are passed it won't reverse the damage.
Enforcement is NOW but too bad real results are probably decades away.
I Would like to be proven wrong but gotta face facts. Ocean levels are rising..Arctic ice cap is receding and McKenzie River water level is dropping. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/mck ... -1.3136854
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

A friend of mine just got back from the North Pole. Ice levels are grim. Not in the sense of huge amounts of multi-year but in the lack of it. Soon the only ice you'll see is what is in pictures from the 80s hung on my wall.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Drought in Nova Scotia, water conservation in Dartmouth, dry wells in the south......NOVA SCOTIA! It never stops pishin doon in Nova Scotia...except for this year.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Yes who could ever imagine a 4 month drought here. I can't remember a drier June and me with no hulls to paint lol.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Certainly cooled a lot since the 16th century when Malaria was endemic in the Thames Estuary, around London, England, and a thousand years ago when the Romans grew grape Vines and made wine in Scotland.

However, a couple of thousand years before that the Glaciers reached the South of England!!

Climate moves in cycles it always has, in my opinion, it is still too soon to be sure what is "man made" and what is part of Natural cycles, of Solar activity and the Earth's climate, many other cycles, similar to "El Nino" still to be discovered.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.