Carnival Legend Steering Issue

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: Carnival Legend Steering Issue

Post by Merlyn »

I could not understand the " valve " statement either hence my question mark on my write up.
Between the Captain and the Cruise Director perhaps it was lost in translation as the saying/ get out clause goes.
As BP says the CS ( controlled start ) motors used to be hydraulic but have in the last few years gone over to electric ones.
I find it very difficult to get the true picture of these failures because of the Cruise Lines P R machines which allways issues the BBB statements ( Bullshit Baffles Brains ) as of course it's allways a " minor glitch " or a " minor reprogramming necessary " , it's never " anything to get concerned about " blah blah blah etc.
Hundreds of millions of pounds weekly are generated by these ships and as such every defect is, of course of a minor nature only, you understand.
The only way to get at the truth is via an MCA report or US coastguard inspection etc which seemingly takes months to come about.
I know that overriding devices are supposed to counter human errors but we all know that past examples of same would indicate otherwise both down below and up top and if you look at recent ship major, major happenings this is indeed the case with some happenings resulting in a total loss of the ship down 100% to human error.
So when and if we shall ever be educated as to why these Anzipods are prone to these failures remains to be seen.
It is, after all in all our interests and safety to make these failure reasons be known to all who may come in contact with these problems so as to apply the old adage " prevention is better than cure "
But sadly it is my belief that because of passenger revenue alas this may never be the case.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Something I didn't mention before, because I am not sure if it applies on these large Passenger ships, but applied to both the Offshore Supply Vessels I sailed on that had Azipods, was that the there were two distinct operating modes.
Sea Passage Mode, where Full Propulsion Power was available but the steering angle was limited and Manoeuvring Mode, where full 360 degree rotation of the Azipod was available, but only limited propulsion Power.
The Deck Officers had to change over Mode at SBE and FAOP, if the Deckies got it wrong there could be an almighty surge in the Electrical Load and Voltage spikes everywhere.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

Still no news on this as yet, I see this ship had Anzipod problems before back in January 2012.
Cause of failure?
Two out of six exitation diodes failed in the port electrical propulsion system unit.
Must have been a bit of a bitter pill to swallow on this defect.
Hundreds of millions of pounds worth of kit only to have two fourpenny halfpenny diodes go down.
All stop for two diodes.
Wonder if they carried any?
Down in that pod, all the heat generated by the drive motor and using a hot air gun or soldering iron, maybe upside down to boot?
Millions of pounds compensation to all the passys, ruined holidays blah blah bah etc.
Maybe some argued claims still running.
Up even further goes Carnivals insurance excess.
So if you are drawing out to take a cruise in addition to the spare clutch plates don't forget to take your spare diodes and a hot air gun/ soldering iron.
And don't forget the diodes are like a one way valve, so right way round please.
This ship being older might have a hydraulic slew ringear motor so best check this first.
How long is it going to be before one of these has to be towed in on a sharp piece of string?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

interesting