Craig Trans

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Craig Trans

Post by JK »

This happened here in Halifax. I knew it was bad, but OMG!

https://www.parismou.org/sites/default/ ... 0Trans.pdf
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Craig Trans

Post by JollyJack »

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident. I've seen ships and crews abandoned by their owners quite a few times, including ports like Port Hawkesbury, Vung Tau, Vietnam and La Guira, the port for Caracas, Venzuala. I heard of a ship about to sail from Montreal for Africa with 7 days food and fuel. (It was heavily insured) Fortunately, the PSCO noted the empty freezer room and checked the fuel ROB. Then, of course, there was the case of a bulker going for scrap, towed from Montreal with 7 days fuel aboard to run the generators. (they had to be run continuously to keep the ballast pumps pumping out the hull) The tow broke too soon and the hulk ran aground off Cape Breton.

Of course, not all shipowners are pennypinching misers who don't give a monkey's about the crew. I've met one or two who aren't.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Craig Trans

Post by JK »

There are a lot of ships being abandoned around the world with the downturn. There are always updates in the various marine news.
Expendables.