Clas 2 Motor exam Questions

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Re: Clas 2 Motor exam Questions

Post by Revolver »

Just have to write all that answer in 30 mins, no prob
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

actually the toughest part is getting the drawing. And with certification questions you only answered what is asked. Anything more could get you a failure. I did that on my 2nds, Added an extra little detail and went from a 20 to a 10 and darn near failed that exam because it was a mandatory.... That would have been embarrassing as every other question answer was dead on.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

JK wrote:Added an extra little detail and went from a 20 to a 10 and darn near failed that exam because it was a mandatory....
That'll be my Achilles heel, I could see me talking my way out of a ticket haha
So there has too be clear concise, 'just answer the question asked' response.
I'll keep that in mind
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Time management.

Read all the questions and the rules carefully, find out what is actually being asked. Time allowed, 30 mins.

There are 9 questions, answer 6. 30 minutes each question. Total time allowed, 3 hrs 30 minutes.

If you can understand the 6 questions you are going to attempt in 10 minutes, good, you've just gained 20 minutes. Pick the easiest one, do that first. Done it in 10 minutes? great, you gained another 20 minutes. Look at what's left, do the easiest one and so on, and so on til you've attempted or completed 6. Every question has the same value.

Keep your answer to the point and keep it simple. If the question is about pistons, don't write about crankshafts. You might write a 6 page essay on crankshafts, it won't get you any more points, but make a mistake, you will lose them. Your writing must be ledgible and understandable, if I can't understand it, I won't be able to mark it. All, and I mean ALL calculations must be shown. I marked a 1st Class Nav Arc question paper done by a cadet from a college which shall be nameless. The guy was either a whizz kid with a calculator or a cheat, each question was written down carefully on the paper, then the correct answer to the calculations right below it. He couldn't understand it when I failed him and he appealed. The paper was sent to HQ in Ottawa and I never heard any more.

2 pieces of advice for writing a TC Exam, R.T.F.Q. and K.I.S.S.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

I'll keep that advice in my mind, thanks.
Reading all questions and doing them from easiest first on is certainly a time effective way to do it, which is extremely important.

Naval architecture without workings, you can't even be a calculator whiz and to narc without workings...That's not even sensible.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

I can't emphasize enough JJ's recommendation about writing down and showing "ALL" your calculations when answering questions that involve a lot of sometimes complicated math. If an error was made that would give an incorrect calculated answer, like transposing a couple of digits of a number when punching numbers into a calculator or in my case misreading a number off a Slide Rule. You will, by doing so, have proven to the examiner that you understand the question along with the process logic & the proper formulas to get the answer asked for in the question. You may then get credit for the question correctly even though the calculated answer was incorrect.

What ever you do don't use "Cook's" Law! That is if you know the answer and "COOK" the middle with garbage that doesn't show correctly how you came up with the answer. That almost guarantee's failure even though the answer was correct!
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

The other thing to remember is writing a 2nd is ER management. If you answer a 2nd class ticket as a watchkeeper mindset, you will fail.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

"The sewage treatment plant is giving a putrid odor and levels of solids at discharge are too high. What is the cause, and how could it be remedied?"

Cause: The 4th hasn't been doing his work.
Remedied: Tell the 4th to fix it.

Answered like a manager hah
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

by the time you get to Tech support and Superintendent for a few years, you'll be forgetting exactly how they work, but they damn well better be..just further steps removed.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

I thought of another application where an oil pump must be set up supply oil through directional flow control valve assembly. The servo oil pump in any hydraulically actuated governor that operates independent of any other engine systems such as a Woodward PG or UG8 Governor. Where the input shaft on a governor can turn in either direction, is obviously engine driven, and designed to be interchangeable it would be essential to have the pump fitted with some sort of directional control valve assembly. It is not uncommon to have issues with a governor having a sluggish response due to low servo pressure caused by one of the check valves malfunctioning either leaking or damaged.

I found the attached copy of a drawing of a Woodward Servo Oil Pump. The drawing is fairly simple and should be easy to reproduce in an exam
Attachments
Governor Oil Pump.jpg
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Governor Oil Pump.jpg
Governor Oil Pump.jpg (33.33 KiB) Viewed 8017 times
I cropped the photo for us blind old Fkrs.....
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

The correct answer to any question is worth 10% of the full value of the question, so there. "Cook's Law" doesn't work. :)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".