I'll just leave this here.

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

I'll just leave this here.

Post by JollyJack »

Discourage incest, ban country "music".
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: I'll just leave this here.

Post by The Dieselduck »

Yes there are some important points in that decision that I hope will tightened the noose on this runaway system of granting waivers. The main one, being "piss-poor planing on your part does not constitute and emergency on my part". Another is that just because a ship doesn't meet your "colour specs" (ie) does not make ineligible, as long as it meets Canadian regulatory regime its good enough. Kinda of what happen to my me and the ship I was on, back in 2012. Valero just decided that they didn't like us anymore, so bring a foreign ship in, and its non tax paying crew into Canadian trade. Its bullshit, we all know it, but now there is another precedent where this is not acceptable.

All this serves to highlight just how many Coating Trade Act waivers oil companies operating in Canada, apply for, and are granted. Valero to some extent, but Irving is almost always getting them as a matter of "business as usual", as is the Atlantic offshore industry. At what point does the government say enough is enough, you enjoy the protection and stability, and income from operating in Canada, then you need to start employing Canadians, who by the way pay taxes for the services they take advantage of.

The oil and gas industry is mature enough now in Canada (Newfoundland), that there should be very little waivers granted. Furthermore I think the Atlantic Accord (Canada-Newfoundland Offshore Petroleum Board) should be modernized to include Canadian firms and crew from across Canada. I think there is this fake "well there is no NF assets, so lets look outside of Canada" attitude, which of course, sucks for the rest of Canada, and allows this pervasive use of Coasting Trade Act waivers to flourish, stiffing Canadian seafarers and Canadian ship operators.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

And another thing.. it always makes me chuckle that the only thing that the Agency looks at when considering a waiver, is how it affects Canadian ship owners. Nobody else is considered at all in this decision, and its wide ranging impact to the Canadian economy.

This Coasting Trade Act waiver is pretty emblematic of the stupidity of the process. Algoma applies to bring in a non duty paid ship, with its non tax paying crew, to trade between Canadian ports. So then the CTA turns around to Algoma, and Desgagnes (who is no stranger to the CTA waiver biz), as a Cdn ship operators, to ask them if they have a suitable tanker available. Mmmmmm. Wait, what !!!

If that isn't one "gentleman's agreement" (http://www.dieselduck.info/blog/2016/10 ... seafarers/) away from destroying Cabotage in Canada, then I don't know what is.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I was just going to post the same link.

They hired a crew that would work for $4 a day in food costs, if that, instead of $20 , plus the lower salaries. And never complain no matter how shitty conditions are.
Fricken tough to compete no matter how qualified one is. I am so glad I am at the end of my career.