Merlyn

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Merlyn

Post by JK »

I believe it is your birthday. Or have you stopped counting?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: Merlyn

Post by Merlyn »

TST ( top secret technology )
Maybe have to take my socks off when it gets to the ton. (100 )
( To count that is )
Dunno about being any wiser though.
Retired?
Got the tired bit ok but still working on the re bit.
Happy landings.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Merlyn wrote: Retired?
Got the tired bit ok but still working on the re bit.
I certainly understand this bit
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Congratulations on the Birthday Merlyn, I was getting tired when I was made redundant, didn't realise how much it was affecting me, but now my sense of humour has come back. and I feel so much better. Chronic fatigue and stress can just grind you down until there is almost nothing of the original person left. Must be a prime cause of a lot of Divorces and break ups.
Keep on trucking Merlyn!

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Thank you BP for your kind words, I can well image how it feels to be made redundant after a lifetime in the trade and how it could affect your confidence/ outlook on it all. Seen so many engineers upto Chiefs level come ashore and work on the local Hospital boiler room til retirement as that was the nearest they could get to what they had just left.
I did pickup on the site that you had gone down to tickover re your contributions and am glad to see that you have now lifted up the throttle somewhat and would hope you reach top RPM by Xmas.
Meanwhile, "onwards and upwards "

" Illegitimate non Carborundum "

Also my thanks to mentalblur for the remarks concerning the apprenceship years which incidentally were all true.
Happy days indeed and a lot of it is photographed forever in the back of the old brain.
Can remember so much of it all back then but can't remember what I had for dinner last week.
Saw you on the site yesterday but today you seemed to have steamed off somewhere?

And of course thanks to JK for sparking it all off
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Big Pete wrote:Congratulations on the Birthday Merlyn, I was getting tired when I was made redundant, didn't realise how much it was affecting me, but now my sense of humour has come back. and I feel so much better. Chronic fatigue and stress can just grind you down until there is almost nothing of the original person left. Must be a prime cause of a lot of Divorces and break ups.
Keep on trucking Merlyn!

BP
Seeing some of the pictures you have posted over the years, I can see why you felt tired and stressed. You weren't exactly sailing on Daddy's yacht. Being made redundant after so many years would tend to make someone feel down and out, because, dammit, "I'm still good at what I do!".
I am glad you are feeling much better. When I came ashore I missed sailing for a few years, now I'd never go back to sea even if I had two good pins under me. I would consider one of those little ferries that you work 8-4 with a couple of truck engines for propulsion, though....for about 30 minutes.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

I missed an important milestone indeed, Happy Birthday Merlyn and thanks for the continued contribution to this project.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Happy birthday ya old fart, from another (semi-retired) old fart!
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Thanks JJ for your kind and reassuring words.
Onwards and Upwards!
Keep out of that wretched FWE column for another year I say.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

And my thanks to you Martin for the oportunity of having someplace to download my pea size brain rantings.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Merlyn wrote:And my thanks to you Martin for the oportunity of having someplace to download my pea size brain rantings.

Pffftt, your brain rantings are significantly more then pea sized :D
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Bless.