Time To Own Up

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Time To Own Up

Post by Merlyn »

Got a prick of the old conscience today re the unsolved Liner problem going back to when I first posted this way back in April this year under " OMO packets in the Window " and to date I note that this problem has not been resolved.
This concerns the difference twixt a L/H machined one V a R/H turned one and with Xmas on the horizon I pictured in my minds eye loads of folk stuck with the TV soaps and repeat films (you all know what I mean ) over the festive period desperately hoping that they could solve this important Liner problem before the year is out and as such not fully giving the re runs their full attentions as the liner problem keeps working its way to the forefront spoiling the necessary obligatory attention required by the TV reruns/ repeats.
Not wishing to spoil anyone's Xmas viewings as such I feel that perhaps now would be the time for the grand unveiling of this hetherto unknown technology to the eagerly awaited 1400 plus people's out there on the site.
So I thought that as several months have now gone by with nary a peep out of anyone, although pac22ken was giving it deep thoughts, ( save for RedRoof who, I reckon tried to set me up that he knew all along what the answer was but didn't want to blow me out of the water, yeh -right ) but alas no suggestions were forthcoming.
So I cast my mind back to when I set sail from school to begin my five year indentured apprenticeship and the advice my dear old mum gave me which still sits with me today.
" Whilst respecting your superiors etc never take all things people say at face value for someday you will surely come unstuck"
This, as I have written about many times on the site has happened to me several times over the five years when doing " my time " and as such I have been programmed from the start of it all as to how to avoid being "set up " ( hopefully )
So going back to the difference between a L/H machined Liner V a R/H machined one the answer has been for several months staring you in the face.

In other words it's a trick question.

Their is no engineering difference between a R/H one and a L/H whatsoever.
So what can it be?

Answer?

THE SPELLING

HAPPY XMAS EVERYONE WHETHER ASHORE OR AFLOAT AND FULL AHEAD BOTH FOR NEW YEAR.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Time To Own Up

Post by JollyJack »

Siks munce ago I kutn't evn SPEL "injuneer" an now i AR wun!
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Sounds like " haste ye back " speak to me?
Nought out of ten I'm afraid.
You have to resit this one
Keep drinking that inhibitor with the " haste ye back " label displayed on it, two more days to run yet.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

LOL, you made some people scratch their heads I'd say.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

JK wrote:LOL, you made some people scratch their heads I'd say.
Yes your question certainly did that for me as well and as JK can attest I don't have too much left to scratch off. I once had a full head of hair but a lot of head scratching as a Chief fixed that problem :lol: :lol:
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Mines due to a high bedhead?
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

"Haste ye Back" stirs the old grey matter.....a whisky label, methinks, Bells?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Spot on JJ, you've just given away your origins.
Performing last night?
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Well kinda, Granny's Hieland Hame came up. :) My granny had a garret at the Tap o the Hull, no far fae Coldside. :)
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

With the help of my up to date English/ Scottish dictionary I have managed to translate that speech ok.
However in moments of boredom I am trying to work out how many sea miles you have clocked up in your box since 2010 with your anti-clockwise rotations and at what speed.
The old legs must be getting somewhat tired.
To ease the boredom you could at least reverse the rotations on Robbie Burns nights.
Or maybe bonfire nights.
PS
Just because the Xmas bash is over don't skimp on the inhibitor.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

I've been ashore in a semi-retired capacity since 2003. I have no more 24/7 weeks, no more middle-of-the-night "IT'S FUCKED CHIEF!!" phone calls, they give me days off they call "Holidays" and PAY me for them! When I get sick, I get sick leave...PAID sick leave, I don't get fired! I get every weekend off, too! Beats the hell outa working for a living!
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

No more challenges , no more " we sorted that one, " no more praise, no more " bonus on the side cash jobby, " no more mention in dispatches to H Q, no more ducking the wife.
Just golf, that inhibitor stuff, just eternally running round that square box anti-clockwise forever and a day.
No more stood at the bar after a long sea voyage legs countering the rolling sea effect now long gone.
Dunno about this, sounds boring to me.
Get back to work and top up the kids inheritance fund I say.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Praise was unheard of, a cash bonus a dream, a week after you sign off HQ says "Ed who?" If I want the rolling sea effect, I'll sail to Halifax and back on the ferry and I've already told the kids I'll be spending their inheritance.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

JollyJack wrote:Praise was unheard of, a cash bonus a dream, a week after you sign off HQ says "Ed who?" If I want the rolling sea effect, I'll sail to Halifax and back on the ferry and I've already told the kids I'll be spending their inheritance.
I agree, I cant remember ever being thanked for my efforts, on several ships I worked my ass off bringing them up to standard after they had had Eastern European Engineers on board, and after a 6 month trip of working a minimum of 12 hour days, 7 days a week, getting everything more or less to rights, been relieved by another Eastern European who didn't know the difference between a hammer and a spanner. My reward was to relieve another Eastern European Engineer and go through the same procedure again.

Personally I am now concentrating on managing my property portfolio and stock market investments.
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Lifetime of Used and abused syndrome eh BP?
Best of luck with your new career, you have more bottle than me to work that stock market stuff, laid awake at night wondering if you can afford to go out next Saturday night or not.
And JJ, should there be any left over don't forget Merlyn is spelt with a Y and not an I, I should hate for it to go to the wrong person.