Scrubber-Irving Tanker

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
SMS
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Canada

Scrubber-Irving Tanker

Post by SMS »

Can anyone tell me what kind of Scrubber, Make and Type, is fitted on the M/V East Coast recently spotted in St.John's Harbour.

Thanks.
Remember: The impossible we can do. Miracles just take a little longer.
SMS
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Canada

Re: Scrubber-Irving Tanker

Post by SMS »

It's not an Exhaust Gas Scrubber but an Inert Gas System. One for Sulphur emissions compliance and the other for Nitrogen.
I should have realize this myself. Smoke from the Boiler Stack during cargo ops. 'Brain Fart'
Billycollis
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Norbulk shipping

Post by Billycollis »

There is In fact an exhaust gas scrubber onboard this ship. It's an Alfa Laval type which was fitted in Gibraltar over 2 years ago. The system has an open and closed loop system which we use I different ports depending on the regulations. In American ports we run on a closed loop system which fills our aft peak tank and I open loop the exhaust is scrubbed and put into the ocean. Caustic soda is used as the neutralizing agent for the exhaust gas. There is a separate igg burner onboard for cargo ops and the boiler also currently runs on diesel.
TDC
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: St. Johns, NL

Post by TDC »

Is this Alfa Laval system currently in use? Through my research into scrubber systems while trying to launch a retrofit project I heard a rumor that the Irving Tankers had all kinds of issues with the scrubber plants and decide to switch to diesel. Just wondering if fact or fiction
Thanks
TDC
Billycollis
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Norbulk shipping

Post by Billycollis »

Oh we have had a lot of issues initially with the system. The system is operating as it should now and has been for the past year or more. there were a lot of growing pains to get where we are to now. The only piece of equipment we switched to diesel was the boiler. This was due to problems with our heat exchanger in closed loop operation and the initial startup of the boiler would plug the system with soot. I would like to see the numbers behind it myself because I think with the man hours put into this system and techs. Coming on board I think switching to diesel would have been a cheaper way of doing things. A lot less equipment to worry about then with regards to heavy fuel system and heaters and anything else that touches the fuel.
TDC
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: St. Johns, NL

Post by TDC »

Thanks, I am of the same opinion as you with what I know today. From a ROI perspective considering the current spread between diesel and HFO is not so much it is difficult to justify kicking of a scrubber retrofit. Seems to be a little bit of chicken and the egg going on here... Fuel supplier want to know what the market will consume and the market want to know what the fuel suppliers will have available. Certainty will be a lot of focus on this in the next couple years