Fuel Additives

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
BobBarkerEngineer
First Time Poster
Currently located: Germany

Fuel Additives

Post by BobBarkerEngineer »

Hey all, just want to pick your brains a bit. We started using a product called Aderco 2055G, claims to do a whole bunch of stuff.

http://www.aderco.com/products/marine.html

From what they say this should make us feel pretty smart. But do any of you guys have experience using this or other Aderco products? What exactly do they mean by fuel homogenization? This additive also says nill about lubricity, so what in you opinions is a good lubricity additive, specifically for LSDMA? And as far as Cetane, how long can diesel be on board before you start worrying about the cetane index getting too low?

Thanks
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Fuel Additives

Post by JK »

Aderco is very good. We've been using it for years. It will clean your engine and it forms a layer between the water and fuel to help with contamination.
One of the fellows had been talking to them about lubricity but I don't know what came of it as I went to another job.
I would talk to the company, they are very good.

Not much help, sorry....
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

The Cetane No is basically the reciprocal of the Octane No on another Scale. The Cetane no of the fuel depends on the Chemical constituents of the fuel. Fundamentally it is a measure of the compression Ratio/ compression Temperature you require for a special Diesel Test Engine to run on the fuel without any input from the starter motor, and without producing any output power.
Unless you add or remove one of the ingredients in the fuel mixture it won't change because Fuel is Chemically stable until you come to burn it.
I would not expect a Fuel additive to have any effect on Lubricity because the amount added is too small.
BP
Last edited by Big Pete on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

ADERCO L1050 LUBRICITY IMPROVER

I just went through their site, and this is the product you would want.

http://www.aderco.com/

I think what they mean by fuel homogenization is that this product works by breaking up the long molecular chains into smaller chains. This makes for better, cleaner combustion.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

I have now read the links and they claim that the product is a"Surfactant and Dispersant" I take this to mean that it is emulsifying any water in the fuel with the Fuel, and dispersing both the emulsion and any solid deposits or sludge evenly throughout the fuel, so that the dirt and water is Homogenously distributed in the Fuel.
They don't have ringing endorsements from the Engine Makers, only a declaration that that it does not damage their Engines.
Some fuel additives contain Catalysts, which can help breakdown long chain molecules and improve their combustion vut they do not mention that with this product.
Many years ago there was a machine called a "Vicker's Homogeniser" which was marketed as a replacement for fuel Purifiers, the idea being that it was basically a grinder, raw Bunker fuel was pumped through it, any particles were ground into small enough particles to pass through the fuel Filters and at the same time, they, and any water were thoroughly mixed into the Fuel. The advantage being that what would normally have to be disposed off as "Purifier Sludge" was now burnt, slightly reducing Fuel Consumption and solving the problem of Sludge Disposal.
However, if your Settling Tanks, Fuel Oil Purifiers and Filters are all working properly, I am not sure that there is any need for it!!

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.