CoC as per STCW 2010 Manila Convention

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
dak61
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: halifax

Re: CoC as per STCW 2010 Manila Convention

Post by dak61 »

I would hope that ALL engineers will start thinking on this one. Look at how TC is handing this one, so how many time have things like this happen and no one know.
TMSI
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: St Johns

TMSI hiring a 4th Class Junior Engineer

Post by TMSI »

Hi TMSI is Looking for a 4th Class Engineer to sail on the MV Nolhan Ava this week out of Halifax- Saint Pierre on a 6 week on/off rotation. Please forward resume to [email protected]
tintean
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by tintean »

Question???????. How can anyone write a 4th class now? They don't have any exams for thermo, applied etc. Young guy I know was told by T.C.(ST. Johns) that he would have to do 3rd exams. Kinda stupid to do 3rds and end up with a 4th. He checked with Dartmouth and they couldn't give him an answer at all.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

The 3NAR and other 4th class exams are now available.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
NBsailor
Bilge Dweller

Post by NBsailor »

Jolly Jack - do you have a link available for the syllabus for the new 4th class exams? I am trying to provide guidance to the oilers on board who are looking to obtain 4th Class Motor certificates. Thanks.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

I would suggest you look at the Academic requirements for 3rd Class in TP 2293. There is no syllabus as yet for NAR at 3rd and 4th level, so I suggest winnowing out the basic stuff for 2nd Class NAR.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/publications/en/tp2 ... p2293e.pdf
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
blackhatch
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by blackhatch »

Anybody heard any NEW news on this? Was recently told they are switching to multiple choice exams in 2019!
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

no news, its TC, that's what they do, don't communicate anything, then panic when we don't accept their surprise policies ram down our throats
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
blackhatch
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by blackhatch »

Don't know if anybody can corroborate this, but I was told by a reliable source today that Cadets graduating now are exempt to 1st Class, whereas those that did the cadet program earlier are not.

If you do not do the math papers in a reasonable time, ie before they scrap them, you will have to return to school to get a 1st Class licence.

Don't have all the details yet just this outline
Shame_on_TC_2017
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Canada

Post by Shame_on_TC_2017 »

Backhatch

Yes cadets now are exempt for 1st class part A’s

According to the last MPR consultations that Martin posted about - there were several across the country...

When the new MPR comes in the challenge part A door will be closed for everyone. The only way is to go to a program. Right now the only one approved in Canada is in Owen sound for 8 months. This is information from the Marine engineering examination manager in Ottawa Brenard Leclerc.

When the new MPR is passed in parliament then it needs to be implemented and the time to do that is unknown. We don’t know how long from now the challenge door will be open.

All the other schools are behind for allowing seconds in to their program to get part A credit. Word is that BCIT will take up to 2 years to modify their program so it meets the new Manila requirements for management training components... whatever that might mean exactly.
tintean
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by tintean »

6 months after Manila 2010 is in force.
H R Manager to company president. " I don't understand why we didn't get any resumes from Canadian Chief Engineers; after all, we are offering minimum wage."