New engine

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: New engine

Post by Merlyn »

That rocker gear looks dry as a wooden god ALEX/ROLLER.
But you yet have to crack this well known ( back then ) problem.
Study the clues given.
Two stroke.
Bad maintance.
Back pressure.
My trusty bar magnet
VL Churchill tools.
There, virtually told you.
And yes, still got the workshop manual for this one " amongst my souveniers "
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Feliks
Superintendent
Currently located: Kraków,Polska

Post by Feliks »

Merlyn wrote:That rocker gear looks dry as a wooden god ALEX/ROLLER.
But you yet have to crack this well known ( back then ) problem.
Study the clues given.
Two stroke.
Bad maintance.
Back pressure.
My trusty bar magnet
VL Churchill tools.
There, virtually told you.
And yes, still got the workshop manual for this one " amongst my souveniers "
Merlyn, maybe I will make you happy showing your souvenirs. I also have my zipper in my souvenirs ... :D

http://www.commer.co.nz/Technical

Here the shaft with a single crank, but the two-cylinder comes from the Fiat 126 engine, on which base I built my new4stroke .. A colleague of such a car drove 100,000 km without renovation. I can see one crank enough ...

The shaft is also fused on two bearing shells .. it was created due to the seizure of the engine dynamometer. I thought that at 3500 revs per min which was generated by the electric dynamometer on which I mounted my engine, nothing bad will happen .. but as a result of 3 times in most of the forces coming from the gaseous forces, the engine faded. In the second photo, the connecting rod, which was completely polished, that's why you can clearly see the change of colors in the sky, which occurred due to this seizure ..

Of course, I rebuilt the engine, but I will not put it on the brakes anymore ..

My project Feliks Commer T4 engine will have about 500 hp, with a weight of about 500 KG, here you can make such a stellar version put together 10 engines (on the left and on the left side of the star) It will weigh about 6 tons and had 5,000 HP. .. It will be suitable for the propulsion of a small ship .. or for the production of 5 MW of electric energy .. with long durability and efficiency ..

In the whole engine there is only one bearing in the connecting rod. The rest are half-turn pins. So, the engine's failure will be significantly increased.

here's a discussion on how to match it to Formel 1

https://www.highpowermedia.com/RET-Moni ... le-knocker

Andrew :D
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

http://www.new4stroke.com/nordberg052.jpg

and here the "connecting rod" TS 3 and the lever to be welded to Feliks Roller

Here the red line is marked by the piston path associated with the lever. At 90 degrees the pressure of the piston on the cylinder wall is equal to 0, and with the traditional system the maximum .. And then we have virtually full torque ..

Andrew :D :D
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Most interesting Andrew but you won't find the answer to my question in the workshop manual, you will only find it by experiences caused by working on this type of engine.
It was, as I said a very common occurrence caused solely by not decoking the engine.
The excessive backpressure, as shown by the gauge on the control panel clearly showed the fault.
The bar magnet was used to get the broken part of the engine out, when ground correctly this part, being made of carbon steel would make an excellent addition to your tool box.
A crosscut chisel f.o.c.
That crank, sure it's not a wrist watch crank?
Think about the back pressure load on parts caused by excessive carbon build up on two strokes.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Merlyn wrote:Most interesting Andrew but you won't find the answer to my question in the workshop manual, you will only find it by experiences caused by working on this type of engine.
It was, as I said a very common occurrence caused solely by not decoking the engine.
The excessive backpressure, as shown by the gauge on the control panel clearly showed the fault.
The bar magnet was used to get the broken part of the engine out, when ground correctly this part, being made of carbon steel would make an excellent addition to your tool box.
A crosscut chisel f.o.c.
That crank, sure it's not a wrist watch crank?
Think about the back pressure load on parts caused by excessive carbon build up on two strokes.
Yes Merlyn, you do not even know how much I appreciate your remarks. because I know that I will not find them in the workshop manual ... It's good that you want to work with me with your experience. As you know, I do not have too much, because I had to find these codes in music .. That's why your help is great .. I now add my cody and maybe something good will be ...
You have noticed the excessive accumulation of carbon. Now that we have a new type of engine Feliks Commer, where there is no classic crankshaft, only pins with a diameter of 30 mm, we can approach the issue in a different way, as it was so far. These small plates do not need such lubrication as large crankshaft bearings, besides they do not even turn round, and do semi-turn .., so the lubrication can be a little smaller .. I do not know if you remember that two-stroke engines for motorcycles, are lubricated only with oil in the fuel and in a ratio of 1: 50. And these engines, completely protruding .. so I thought that my Felix Commer can be lubricated with normal diesel fuel, also with the addition of this oil, let's also say 1; 50 as we will take into account that diesel fuel already has good lubrication in the sona .. Imone would be poured into the engine instead of lubricating oil. Well, when 10 liters of such fuel are needed for lubrication, the amount of oil added would be 0.2 liters .. No and I think that this quantity would not plug the windows, because the rest would be the same as the main fuel, it would be fired without coke .. And I think that this should solve the problem of this too nagar. Simply a new lubricant oil felix, i.e. diesel fuel plus 1:50 oil for two strokes ... .. poured into the engine, instead of lubricating oil ..
It would have such advantages that in the winter it would not be too dense, and in the summer too sparse ... ... and this price is not too high ..
So even with a large amount of "oil" you would not have to worry about ... because also coke would not be created ... because, from burning fuel, it does not arise ...
I just do not know what oil companies are doing ...
here, one bottle is enough to make 50 liters of "feliks oil" :D

https://www.mobil.com/English-PL/Passen ... -Racing-2T

And here the drift part of the watch, which I personally will do on an ordinary lathe. The material to do this crankshaft weighed 80 KG and the shaft lasts 4 KG. It lasted for a month ...
You know how you see the problems of crankshaft production, and that's why I know it's not a simple thing ...
Here are a few examples, however, that the crankshaft is not necessarily a successful construction .. and despite its thickness, sometimes it ends ... And I will ask if ever seen such a broken clutch shaft, despite the fact that it is much thinner than the crank ..

http://new4stroke.com/rootes%20diesel%2 ... 0small.pdf

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

here is an explanation of why these crankshafts break
  ... in aviation, there are also such cases ... http://repository.am.szczecin.pl/bitstr ... sequence=1

do something like your Lycoming, Merlyn?
http://www.n56ml.com/corvair/crankshaft/

Andrew
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Those cranks are an advert for Locktite ?
Stripped engines whereby the engine has run on rumbling away with a broken crank with ends like a dog clutch effect holding the show together.
Back to the TS3 engine, the common failure fault part I refer to is splined either end?
Look in the workshop manual Andrew, they do mention about it.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Quill drive anyone?
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Merlyn wrote:Quill drive anyone?
I see that you asked the right question, Merlyn ...
And I thought that if someone has such engine, the whole diesel car, which is already going to scrap, would be able to pour this Felix oil ... but first you would have to pour it, replace the fitr and collect a little, so what to do washed out, did Then change the filltr once and fill the normal level with Feliks oil ... and try to ride a little, or create a song ... it's such a practical experience ...
maybe he'll describe what's going on ...
  and I'm still coming up with ...
Here, such a connecting rod of my idea .. For a semi-rotary shaft, it can be such, because all forces act by pushing the connecting rod to the lever .. only incidentally it is possible to act detachment parts from each other, so its protection can be negligible .. During normal engine operation, piston it is only pressed against the lever all the time ..
However, the cooperating surfaces are relatively large, and the connecting rod weight is smaller .. Formy Feliks Commer ..

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

And because of the fatal mechanical distribution of the crankshaft forces, several cases of failure of the same shaft

A 8 times greater torque (first gear and differential transmission), they transfer to the wheels of the half-axle, which can be seen in the picture of the gearbox with the diverter, from the engine of which the shaft comes ...
they have a diameter of 25 mm and a long length ..
I have never seen a failure in these half-axes.
That is, to transfer 8 times more torque, this dimension is enough ..

The title is an explanation of why the classic crankshaft is a fatal construction and despite the large dimensions it bursts .. as seen in the pictures .. Here a little about the crush of such shafts, which even without load, under their own weight can be bent.

http://www.mechanik.media.pl/pliki/do_p ... 48_eng.pdf

This is called the springing of the crankshaft.
On this link, how are you measuring this springs when the engine is standing. As a result of these crushing, the shafts are breaking up in the middle of their life, despite the fact that they are relatively thick ...
This causes a fatal rule of the "crankshaft" in its very construction.

http://www.full-ahead.net/Silownia/siln ... owanie.htm

SINGLE-supported cranks have no faults. Here is an example, from a locomotive, such a one-way crank in addition, on springs, which causes additional wheel movement. The power transferred is some couple of thousand horsepower ...
I have never seen damage ...

I have never seen damage ...
So a single-sided crankshaft is no longer so emergency, because it does not have this bending, as well as its design must be sufficiently strong.

And here is my design lever, to Feliks Roller, which is basically quadruple, and can be supported on the bearing in the cylinder axis, without causing any bending of my shaft ...
Only at the ends will be full bearings determining Feliks Roller

Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Andrew,
Is that your hand attempting to balance that wrist watch engine crank?
All this design stuff is all very well but what about this TS3 well known engine failure problem?
It needs sorting before going further into these futuristic designs of yours.
Swop your drumsticks for a torque wrench springs to mind.
The answer is all in the clues given?
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

A bit of a gap, Merlyn ... This time, a little bit of code found in US history..

As it turned out, it's worth getting to know the history of the United States ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Monitor

American Civil War 1861-1865. History talks about Abraham Lincoln and how he contributed to the excellent progress of technology as a result of the moment of this war, choosing the idea of ??the Swedish immigrant Jon Ericsson to implement ...

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/arti ... sebox-raft

it's about the steam engine of the "Monitor" ship, which contributed to the victory of the Union, but later sank in bad weather. Since then, these genius technical solutions have been covered by the ocean. It was only after 140 years, an attempt was made to extract the "Monitor" engine, it was retrieved in 2001 and reconstructed for the next 10 years.
Thanks to this, they saw the light of day and became popular only, the technical solutions that were used there during the entire 150 years, when the ship was covered with the ocean, they were not remembered too much ..
Here, the history of the project and the way in which this ship and the steam engine was created .. here is also a movie about how the engine model works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWn8gQ9Ykpk

I of course independently invented Felix Roller for a multi-cylinder engine, replacing the classic crankshaft, but I noticed that the engine "Monitor also had a part of my Felis Roller, and this solution worked well, in the engine 250 KW of power. Clearly, it has two such Shafts with levers, for longitudinal displacement of power. Also, the power take-off wheel is supported on one side (on the other only timing drive)
After covering the "Monitor" engine, I was very happy that my relationship had already been tested practically, but only for two cylinders .. It lay hidden under the water these 150 years .. but now everyone knows about it and can see that the solution works ... for 150 years, no one took it into account .. My Feliks Roller system I designed for 8 cylinders and 16 pistons ((Feliks Commer TS4) .. with the reception of the main power, on the crank shaft one-sided supported .. On the other hand it can be a small crank driving the shaft going to the front of the engine, driving the water pump, fan, generators and compressor, but flexibly coupled ... (as in "Monitor" driving the timing) Here is the animation that I made, showing how the main engine system The Monitor was working.

Yes, this story is coming round and that's why it's worth knowing .. This is the history of the United States ..

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

A bit of a gap, Merlyn ... This time, a little bit of code found in US history..

As it turned out, it's worth getting to know the history of the United States ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Monitor

American Civil War 1861-1865. History talks about Abraham Lincoln and how he contributed to the excellent progress of technology as a result of the moment of this war, choosing the idea of ??the Swedish immigrant Jon Ericsson to implement ...

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/arti ... sebox-raft

it's about the steam engine of the "Monitor" ship, which contributed to the victory of the Union, but later sank in bad weather. Since then, these genius technical solutions have been covered by the ocean. It was only after 140 years, an attempt was made to extract the "Monitor" engine, it was retrieved in 2001 and reconstructed for the next 10 years.
Thanks to this, they saw the light of day and became popular only, the technical solutions that were used there during the entire 150 years, when the ship was covered with the ocean, they were not remembered too much ..
Here, the history of the project and the way in which this ship and the steam engine was created .. here is also a movie about how the engine model works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWn8gQ9Ykpk

I of course independently invented Felix Roller for a multi-cylinder engine, replacing the classic crankshaft, but I noticed that the engine "Monitor also had a part of my Felis Roller, and this solution worked well, in the engine 250 KW of power. Clearly, it has two such Shafts with levers, for longitudinal displacement of power. Also, the power take-off wheel is supported on one side (on the other only timing drive)
After covering the "Monitor" engine, I was very happy that my relationship had already been tested practically, but only for two cylinders .. It lay hidden under the water these 150 years .. but now everyone knows about it and can see that the solution works ... for 150 years, no one took it into account .. My Feliks Roller system I designed for 8 cylinders and 16 pistons ((Feliks Commer TS4) .. with the reception of the main power, on the crank shaft one-sided supported .. On the other hand it can be a small crank driving the shaft going to the front of the engine, driving the water pump, fan, generators and compressor, but flexibly coupled ... (as in "Monitor" driving the timing) Here is the animation that I made, showing how the main engine system The Monitor was working.

Yes, this story is coming round and that's why it's worth knowing .. This is the history of the United States ..

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

[quote=J.A.W. post_id=772750 time=1529471448 user_id=27109]
F/A, its all very well..'waxing lyrical' - about USA civil war tech.. but don't dis' them good ol' southern boys of the CSA..
Here's the CSS Hunley.. 1st combat success for a submarine.. & how's about that... for a crank-rod propulsion linkage..
[/quote]

Well, this is the next part of this war ...

And here Monitor engine after extraction, but still not preserved ..

Here is an elegant first prototype of the Monitor .. short Feliks Roller.

Andrew
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Kelpiecross, on 20 Jun 2018 - 08:16, said:

Quote /It still seems to be a crankshaft engine to me - it wouldn't operate without the crank wheel part./ Quote

Do not be puritanic when it comes to cranks ... one crank wheel can be instead of 16 crank. Particularly, it is time to replace this most expensive rotational part of the engine ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2drej_qeRSA