3D Printing Spare Parts

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Nautilos
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Greece

3D Printing Spare Parts

Post by Nautilos »

3d printing has been already implemented in various sectors. Application in industries with similar to shipping characteristics (automotive, aerospace, etc), reveals the potential of applying it in the shipping industry. The availability of spare parts is important for the vessel maintenance. Additive manufacturing could reduce inventory and shorten the space parts supply chain in the maritime industry, since the part could be made near the place it is needed.

If you are willing to learn more on the subject you could have a look in our presentationhttps://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... ostidi.pdf
We are conducting research aiming to explore the potential of 3D Printing Spare Parts for the Maritime Industry. We are trying to get the opinion of people on board a vessel and land office using a questionnaire https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... =0&c=0&w=1 for academic research. We would appreciate if you find the time to participate.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: 3D Printing Spare Parts

Post by JK »

A couple of comments after briefly looking at your questionnaire:
Why is the sex of the respondent necessary? Why is the age necessary?
You have left out the shore engineers in your pick list. They are the ones that source equipment.
Class approval is required for any equipment. They just approved a 3D propeller recently.

Good luck on your endeavors. This is a huge innovation in the industry.
Nautilos
Bilge Dweller

Post by Nautilos »

Thank you for your comments.
The sex and age questions are included (optionally) for demographic reason. Indeed shore engineers are left out since Land office Technical Department is included. Is Class approval required for any spare? Or that is required for critical parts or the OEM? I would appreciate if you find the time to participate filling up the questionnaire.
1moley
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: North Sea

Post by 1moley »

Concept of the idea of having a few raw materials than can cover various parts is great. I suspect most of us see the benefits of such a device on a vessel but also many limitations both politically and in practice.

One major draw back I see is why would a manufacturer provide drawing to create such parts when they make so much money off selling manufactured parts to companies. Where would they make there money?
Nautilos
Bilge Dweller

Post by Nautilos »

1moley wrote: One major draw back I see is why would a manufacturer provide drawing to create such parts when they make so much money off selling manufactured parts to companies. Where would they make there money?
I would agree with you that Manufacturers make money by selling spares. They do not want to lose customers, if somebody esle does it. The way spares are distributed must also change, that is they have to be reaching the end user in a digital way.